Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180 stat doesn't fit in o.e waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 180 stat doesn't fit in o.e waterpump?

So, before I put my car away for winter storage last fall, I noticed my water pump had begun to leak. So, doing as advised by a master GM technician, I intalled a replacement O.E Water pump from GM. Unfortunately, when I attempted to install my aftermarket 180* stat into the new pump, it was the incorrect size. So, due to lack of time, I was forced to install the new pump with the 195 stat it came with.

This normally wouldn't bother me, but now since my car's been tuned for the 180, the cooling fans are always running. When it's up to 'temp' before the thermostat even starts to do it's job, the fans kick on. Anyone else have this problem? Advice?

Thanks.

Rick.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could be wrong, but thought the new pumps came with a 180. Any idea what your fan settings are?
Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I tried to install an SLP 160 Stat in my 99 Formula that had a new water pump. The original LS1 had a little different pump and when it was repaired the dealership installed a new OEM. I believe the new pumps are the same that the LS1 Corvettes came with. Anyways, I ordered a different thermostat from Scoggin Dickey and it worked perfectly. It fits inside the original housing rather than replacing the housing completely.