Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with headlights

This may be simple, but it's beyond my skill:

('99 Trans Am)

I've got a headlight problem. Drivers side low beam won't turn on, but passenger side will. Highbeams turn on for both sides, but when they do, the right lowbeam stays on and left still doesn't work. It sounds like a ground problem, but I checked the ground in the plug harness plug below the left side and there's power to both bulbs and the ground works (used a ground point in the engine compartment to test the current in the plugs, and used the ground wire in the harness to do it too).

This has happened before, and I fixed it by cleaning the terminals in that wiring harness and on the plugs right at the bulbs and that fixed it. Now it's not working, and there's current all around.

I'm all out of ideas, can anyone help?

Thanks,
-Shane
Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap low beam bulbs and see if the problem follows the bulb first of all. If so than you need a bulb.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Check the connectors. Mine had a lot of corrosion on them when I started having problems with my headlights.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go with HID and never look back.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Checked all of the connections, that was the problem last time this exact thing happened. Nothing corroded now (cleaned everything thoroughly and checked for current at the bulb). I'll check the bulb because that's probably the problem, it just looks good still. I can see the filament and it looks intact, no scorching, etc... But I'll swap bulbs and see if it's the case.

On that note, what's HID? Is that a brand of bulbs and is it recommended?

Thanks,
-Shane