Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LPP header and magnaflow cat back installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LPP header and magnaflow cat back installed!!

Wow... what can i say.... easy install. I dont know why everyone fears header installs so much. Removing the stock exhaust was the hardest part, and most of the time it took to remove that was heating the converter bolts... pretty simple.. really didnt even need to get the car unnecessarily high. The LPP headers slid right in without removing any spark plugs, notching the kmember, cutting the casting tab, nothing. I did nothing but remove the stock exhaust and install these... I cant believe how easy they went in. I had myself prepared for all the horror stories of how hard headers were to slide up in... I initially tried the passenger side first to see what i would NEED to modify.. Without even trying the header went up and in and i was shocked LOL! The drivers side took about 5 seconds more then the passenger side to install... I did this entire install by myself and seriously it took15-20 seconds to maneuver each header up and through.. put a jack stand on the collector and bolted em up... easy.

They they have very good clearance everywhere but the driver side is VERY close to the motor mount but doesnt seem to rub...

The magnaflow was pretty easy as well but i dont understand what they were thinking with the drivers side exhaust tip... the standoff for the stock exhaust mount was WAY to long and actually made the rubber coupler sideways instead of up and down... is everyones magaflow like this?? i had to shorten in order for everything to line up....

all in all not sure if i like the sound yet but feels like a lot more power and a lot louder then the flowmaster and stock exhaust i had.

Time wise working by myself it took me probably 4 hours to remove entire stock exhaust including catback and manifolds and to get the headers bolted up. took probably another 2-3 hours to get the maganflow installed (modified) and lined up. so all in all 6-7 hours total work time... not bad at all.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, pretty nice to hear. However, I really doubt mine will be easy-peasy. :{
Old 04-27-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
The magnaflow was pretty easy as well but i dont understand what they were thinking with the drivers side exhaust tip... the standoff for the stock exhaust mount was WAY to long and actually made the rubber coupler sideways instead of up and down... is everyones magaflow like this?? i had to shorten in order for everything to line up....
The same thing happened with the drivers tip when we installed the Magnaflow on a friend's 98 Z28. We didn't cut the hanger, but instead attached it to the factory rubber mount and then used a zip-tie to hold it in place. This is more of a remedy than a fix. Dave plans to have different tips installed eventually and when he does he'll be sure the exhaust shop hangs the tips correctly.

I just finished my Jet Hot LT Header install. I did the motor mounts as well, but I'd agree with your statement that completing this install doesn't take as long and is not as difficult as most people believe.

Do you have a video or sound clip of your new exhaust? I'd love to hear it. Here is are a couple videos of my car. Before and after my LT install. Check them out if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCzti1YCjwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsfNfO1QI0
Old 04-28-2009, 05:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the same exhaust setup as I do, I absolutely love mine. Its tame at idle but when you get on it, the damn thing just roars. And it might just be me but it seemed that after a couple hundred miles or so the magnaflow started to sound alot more aggressive, maybe just breaking it in? Hope you end up liking it as much as I do.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
You have the same exhaust setup as I do, I absolutely love mine. Its tame at idle but when you get on it, the damn thing just roars. And it might just be me but it seemed that after a couple hundred miles or so the magnaflow started to sound alot more aggressive, maybe just breaking it in? Hope you end up liking it as much as I do.
I was just telling a friend, that it seems like the Magnaflow has gotten a little louder. Still like the sound, not crazy about the tips, or the way that they hang.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guy! ill get vids of the sound up asap!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:43 PM
01z
TECH Regular

i have the same set up, lpp/magnaflow. i like the sound but its kind of quiet. but thats why i have a cutout
Old 04-30-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a shop put my magnaflow cat back on and my driver side tip is the same way, need to fix it right away.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Wow... what can i say.... easy install. I dont know why everyone fears header installs so much. Removing the stock exhaust was the hardest part, and most of the time it took to remove that was heating the converter bolts... pretty simple.. really didnt even need to get the car unnecessarily high. The LPP headers slid right in without removing any spark plugs, notching the kmember, cutting the casting tab, nothing. I did nothing but remove the stock exhaust and install these... I cant believe how easy they went in. I had myself prepared for all the horror stories of how hard headers were to slide up in... I initially tried the passenger side first to see what i would NEED to modify.. Without even trying the header went up and in and i was shocked LOL! The drivers side took about 5 seconds more then the passenger side to install... I did this entire install by myself and seriously it took15-20 seconds to maneuver each header up and through.. put a jack stand on the collector and bolted em up... easy.

They they have very good clearance everywhere but the driver side is VERY close to the motor mount but doesnt seem to rub...

all in all not sure if i like the sound yet but feels like a lot more power and a lot louder then the flowmaster and stock exhaust i had.

Time wise working by myself it took me probably 4 hours to remove entire stock exhaust including catback and manifolds and to get the headers bolted up. took probably another 2-3 hours to get the maganflow installed (modified) and lined up. so all in all 6-7 hours total work time... not bad at all.
Yep. In terms of fitment, Magnaflow is one of the worst. Good quality / sound / performance though.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
i had a shop put my magnaflow cat back on and my driver side tip is the same way, need to fix it right away.
It's because the pipes coming out of the muffler angle down, and with the pipes in the hangers, as instructed, would have your tips angled down about 3-4" away from the body..
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it takes a little bit of work to get the tips lined up nicely. I had to make a custom bracket on one side for it the muffler and tips to sit level. stock hangers didn't do the job.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

subscribed so I can see those dyno #'s
and what is the combustion chamber on those heads again?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Default magnaflow

I just installed my magnaflow cb today. That **** will not line up how I want it. :o( What do I have to do!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Looking back, I would have been better off to just buy the muffler, and take the pipe off the stock muffler. There would be a better chance of everything lining up.

The sound is great though, quiet at idle, and at WOT, it opens up.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

really didnt even need to get the car unnecessarily high.
How high did you set the car? What size/type jack stands?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

5 ton jack stands in the front, the truck ones. had regular jack stands under the rear of the car. Jacked the rear of the car to just under the max height of the smaller 2 ton jack stands and the front of the car as high as the jack with the 4x4 would go (aluminum racing style jack)... Turned out it was plenty high enough. I thought i was going to have to raise it higher, but like i said in the original post, they kind of slid in by accident... very easy.. lol... Keep a smaller jack stand under the car if you working by yourself to set the collector on after you slide them up...

make life easier on yourself, pick up a good mapp gas cylinder torch to get the old converters bolts off...Just be careful of where you heat because your close to a lot of stuff.( and dont let the nuts fall on you after you loosen em, they're kinda hot lol) ... you dont want to strip one of those like I ALMOST did... I stripped the top half of the nut, then got the entire flange red hot, and voila off came the nut easily A long 15mm impact socket is your friend along with an Impact gun with a long 1/2in extension. With a long extension it can get kinda cramped under the car and its easy to strip the nuts from not being dead straight on if you use a ratchet... Plus air gun is a lot more fun at 2 in the morning, neighbors love it!!
Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

So far so good, I've got my old exhaust off with no problems.

Does your driver side header have dent in the second primary? I just got an email from Carl at LPP saying that they come out like that every time they bend it.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 105
So far so good, I've got my old exhaust off with no problems.

Does your driver side header have dent in the second primary? I just got an email from Carl at LPP saying that they come out like that every time they bend it.
Yeah my LPP headers had the same dent. But once their in you really never notice it.

Quick Reply: LPP header and magnaflow cat back installed!!