Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help Home tuneing headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help Home tuneing headers

Installing headers with 3" collectors - if add 2-4-6-8 inch extenion to collectors an old timer ( and he be old if I am able to call him an old timer) said "add extenion to collectors and paint down the extenion,and at point where paint stop burning off, cut about 1 in longer to tune headers if not available to dyno" ( but he died before he explained if this would add to top OR low end make a guess as to what lenght is need to add to high end- as I am running Yank St3500 and have a LOT of bottom end)
Old 10-31-2003, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Sorry if my question was not clear :

I would like someone to explain , if I add extenions to the collectors, will I gain low OR high end?
also does any one know a better way to tune the headers without use of dyno other than paint a strip on the side of the collectors, run a pass , find point on collector where heat burn paint then saw off the extenion about 1 inch below the burn point
Hope this explains the question
Thanks for all replys
Johnny
Old 10-31-2003, 04:43 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

You need some pipe off the headers IMO, you plan to run duals or something?

Supposedy if you draw a crayon line you will see where it won't melt. I bet you would need 2 foot long pieces of pipe to do this.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just make sure you don't use high-temp engine paint when you do this, LOL. Different paints burn at different temperatures. I would do some research to find out what temperature range you are shooting for, then go to a welding supply and get a Temp Crayon for that temperature. The Temp Crayons are used for heat-treat tempering metal and are very accurate.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

I plan to run open headers at track
thanks for reply