Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

write up for plug in fan mod.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default write up for plug in fan mod.

Well, here is the start of the writeup. If somebody can volunteer to host the pics, that would be nice, i don't want to overdo my free hosting elsewhere.

but here goes.

First here is the parts you need.

9 male, and 9 female connectors, 18 cable seals, 2 empty plugs, 1 male 10 pin connector, and 1 female 10 pin connector, and 2 strain reliefs, and 1 retainer clip to hold the terminals together.

Then you need to cut 9 wires, about 7" long.

After you cut the wires, slide on the cable seals, and strip about 1/4 inch off each end.

then after stripping each end, Pick 7 of the wires, and pull the other 2 aside.

Start with one set of terminals, (male or female) and crimp them into place (note, requires special tool) if you don't have the special tool, needle nose pliers, and a soldering gun should work

Continue and do the other side, and you will end up with this.

After securing the cable seals, with the other special tool (or a pair of standard crimpers should work, if your careful) go back to the 2 you left out before.

I use one blue for the high speed, and a normal black for the low. If i had green, i would use that for low. to match the factory colors.

Strip back about 1/2" of insulation in the middle of your blue wire, and connect another piece of wire to go into the vehicle. Solder this connection. Should look like this.

Repeat for the low speed setting.

When your done, slide heatshrink over the connections should look like this.

Then heat the connections.

(note: paper is just there for the pics, use common sense)

Once your done with those 2 wires, your ready to assemble.

Start out by cutting a piece of large 1" or so heat shrink to hold all the wires in place.

Attach the blue wire into pin H
and the black wire, with the splice into pin J

Should look like this.

Continue to add 1 wire at a time, and match the letters on the end, your going to leave pin F empty.

Once you have installed the 9 wires, install the empty seal as shown.

Before going to the next step, take a meter, and verify that the pins are A to A, B to B, and C to C ... all the way to K

After installing the 9 wires, and the cable seals, line up the strain relief.

Clip the strain relief into place, and repeat the other side.

Heat the heatshrink tubing, and your done with the under hood portion.

This should take about an hour.

It works as follows.

You ground the Blue and Black wire, to actvate the high speed fan.

Ground just the black wire to activate the low speed settings.

I will have the incar writeup in a little while, with diagrams of how to do the resistors to prevent ses lights.

if you want information on how to get these parts, they are not a sponsor, e-mail me for that info Ryan212@aol.com put fan mod or fan parts in the title.

Ryan.

Last edited by slow; 04-25-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nice write up!
Old 11-06-2003, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second that! nice and in depth coverage Ryan. so basically it's a manual switch when you wnat them on? i work at a GM dealer, so i can get those parts pretty easy. thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it is the start of the manual fan writeup.

yes, its the underhood portion write up, i will have the other writeups, for the wiring of the actual switch, and the resistors needed to prevent the SES lights, caused by the other fan mods around the net, i will post them tomorrow, or later today, if i get time.

Ryan