Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld up exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Weld up exhaust?

Should i get my exhaust joints welded. Header into y, y
Old 05-23-2009, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had flanges and really liked them. Welding would provide you with some of the best sealing, but wouldnt allow you to take the exhaust off as you wish. I dont know how often you would want to take it off but i like my options. Mine is currently clamped with band clamps and ive had them come off over speedbumps and at 7k rpms, however it is rigged thru a 15 dollar ypipe that i had to make fit.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

You really need a couple joints for when you need to take it off.... I know when I have my 3" Duals I ran Flowmaster ball & socket type joints at the header making that separation painless and then I could drop my entire duals just by undoing exhaust brackets....

On a Y-CatBack setup I would think you need joints at the headers and then at least one going over the axle...
Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone with the slipfit setup like mine? it seems that the only way to get the y out is to first loosen the header bolts
Old 05-23-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by metalmechanic
anyone with the slipfit setup like mine? it seems that the only way to get the y out is to first loosen the header bolts
Yea they sure wont just slide back...not without something being loosened...whether its the header or the mid pipe etc... something has to give the slack..