Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cyl 3 misfire, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cyl 3 misfire, need help

I have a 98 z28. It has crane 1.7 gold roller rockers with hardened pushrods, dual valve springs with a g5x2 cam. I was driving the car, not even getting on it, and then all of a sudden I feel a lot of vibration around 2500 rpm and up. There is ticking coming from the driver side head/valvetrain. Ive checked to make sure the injectors are working, and it all spark plugs get spark. Ive taken off the valve cover and nothing looks broken or out of the ordinary. Then I drove the car down the street and the ticking got louder, and cel came on. I ran the scanner which said cyl 3 misfire detected. Im not sure which one cyl 3 is, but i think its the driver side 2nd cyl behind the power steering pump. I am going to do a compression check to make sure the valves are sealing. but other than that, what else can i check to see whats causing the misfire.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go back and verify 22 lbs/ft torque on all your rockers, not just #3.

Do it the proper way, bringing each cylinder to TDC firing position. Both valves completely closed, cam lobes on their base circle and not on the ramps.

With big cams and stiff springs, I've seen guys fail to get some of their rockers actually torqued onto the pedestal even though their torque wrench clicked at 22 ft/lb.

This happens because the lifter was way up on the cam lobe, the new springs were super-stiff, and 22# of torque just wasn't enough to overcome either the spring or the pumped lifter.

You end up with loose, noisy rockers and the bolt eventually either strips the threads or otherwise loosens.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Go back and verify 22 lbs/ft torque on all your rockers, not just #3.

Do it the proper way, bringing each cylinder to TDC firing position. Both valves completely closed, cam lobes on their base circle and not on the ramps.

With big cams and stiff springs, I've seen guys fail to get some of their rockers actually torqued onto the pedestal even though their torque wrench clicked at 22 ft/lb.

This happens because the lifter was way up on the cam lobe, the new springs were super-stiff, and 22# of torque just wasn't enough to overcome either the spring or the pumped lifter.

You end up with loose, noisy rockers and the bolt eventually either strips the threads or otherwise loosens.
I adjusted all the valves and made sure theyre all torqed down. makes same noise and still misfires. I did a compression test, and it read 160psi for all cylinders on the driver side. Someone told me it is probably the lifters. which lifters should I get with the setup I have?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a lifter croaked, but that's only a guess.

edit: and if so, it likely took the cam with it.