Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this how I should flush it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this how I should flush it?

I am going to flush my cooling system after work tonight. I was wondering what the best way to flush the system would be. I am tossed up between two methods.

Method 1:

-Open petcock
-Remove T-stat from housing
-Insert garden hose to radiator
-Start car and wait till clear water comes out of the drain.

Method 2:
-Use prestone flush kit (after I figure out how to use it)

Has anyone used the prestone kit? Is there another method that anyone want to suggest?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your t-stat IS the housing. It's all one piece (unless you have an LS2 WP). I agree with everything except removing the t-stat.

To use the Prestone cleaner, first do your Method 1, then fill the radiator with the flush kit. Then repeat Method 1. Then refill cooling system - make sure you watch your temp. gauge on first startup after the refill. If there's air in the system, it will start to overheat. Bleed it if you have to by opening the line right underneath the TB with the car running.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
Your t-stat IS the housing. It's all one piece (unless you have an LS2 WP). I agree with everything except removing the t-stat.

To use the Prestone cleaner, first do your Method 1, then fill the radiator with the flush kit. Then repeat Method 1. Then refill cooling system - make sure you watch your temp. gauge on first startup after the refill. If there's air in the system, it will start to overheat. Bleed it if you have to by opening the line right underneath the TB with the car running.

Hope this helps and good luck.
I forgot to mention that i am replacing the T-stat so i can destroy the old one by removing the actual t-stat from the housing so i can just let the cooling system flow ( i read it in a post on here somewhere but cant find it). You think that will work? Also, the flush kit is not the cleaning kit, its that wierd kit that you hook up to your heater hose but im having second thought of using it.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you can just cut/saw/otherwise remove the t-stat from the housing and re-install it. IMO, the kit isn't worth it. Just make sure you clean it out good (water runs clear).
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NonGoggleGuy
Yeah, you can just cut/saw/otherwise remove the t-stat from the housing and re-install it. IMO, the kit isn't worth it. Just make sure you clean it out good (water runs clear).
Cool. I do it with out the kit.