Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil press. problem (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default oil press. problem (kinda)

ok so i had the LT's and exhaust installed not too long ago and then i went out of town for 2 weeks and left the car sitting. i came back, cranked it up and there was no oil pressure...or at least thats what the gauge said. but the lifters weren't ticking, it was idling just fine, and the only light that appeared was the check gauge light. but it ran for about 30-45 sec and the gauge just kind of woke up and the check gauge light went off. so i took it back to the shop i had it done at(this was happening at every start up) the guy looked at it after explained it to him. and i started it up for him and the same thing happened, no oil press, check gauge light, but no ticking, normal idle, etc etc and after a few seconds the gauge read normal again. now his thought(and mine) is that its some sort of electrical gremlin, most likely concerning the sending unit. but i am no electrician and really have no idea where to begin troubleshooting this problem. (i did check all the grounds i could find though)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your right it does sound like you are indeed getting oil pressure. But just to be sure I would hook a mechanical gauge to it first and then check the result against the stocker. If you are getting oil pressure then I would replace the sending unit on the back drivers side of the engine behind the manifold. These factory gauges will never win any rewards for being accurate.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Addict

ok that makes me feel better. but i still have this crappy feeling that i could be wrong and ive been dry starting for like the past 2-3 weeks. so i think i'm going to have the mechinacal oil gauge hooked up, like ASAP.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

bump for update.

going in tomorrow to have it looked at. i talked to my mechanic, he said if the gauge is actually working then i'm probly sucking air somewhere. i'm guessing O-ring. but thats IF there isnt something wrong electrical. anyways ill update when i find something out.