Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting long tube headers to shorties is it feasible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Converting long tube headers to shorties is it feasible?

Hopefully I won't get flamed. I am running into a problem with my camaro(its an 88 BTW). I had a T5 5 speed in the car, and I initially had Hooker Super Competition long tube headers part #2210 1-3/4 primaries 3 in collectors with a custom fabricated y pipe that had 2 seperate 3 inch pipes merging with a flowmaster 3 in to 4 in Y pipe. I ended up swapping out to a very heavily built 700R4 and now the y pipe won't fit at all. The header colletors are in a position where they will not facilitate an easy rerouting of a y pipe without having severe ground clearance issues, It seems that to me the only way to fix this problem is to run shortie headers. I just wanted to know the possibility of taking the long tubes, cutting a decent section of pipe from each primary tube, and then rewelding the collector/flange back on in a place where a shortie header collector might exit. That way, I won't have to spend too much money or new headers, I still have the same size primary tubes and collector size. My engine is a 383 stroker that makes 503 HP and 517 TQ at the flywheel. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not worth the trouble. Gather your food stamps together and get some new headers.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea your better off just getting other headers.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why dont you get a different y-pipe made again?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Why dont you get a different y-pipe made again?
Well I have a Spohn transmission crossmember and a transmission crossmember mounted torque arm. With the 5 speed I had enough room to have the y pipe go right next to the 5 speed and ABOVE the crossmember. Ground clearance was awesome. But since the automatic is sooo much bigger, the y pipe won't fit. The longtube header collectors are located pretty far back, and if I had another y pipe made the pipes would end up having to go UNDER the crossmember and that would severely hinder ground clearance. The only other option would be to maybe notch the subframe, but I don't want to reduce chassis rigidity just to get an exhaust to fit. As I see it now, I guess the only options left aside from custom made headers and y pipe, are to use off the shelf shorty headers and y pipe and hope that they will be adequate.