Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vic Jr. Intake Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vic Jr. Intake Leak

I recently got my engine back from being bored from a 5.3 to a 5.7. I'm using 317 heads and wanted to add the Vic Jr. to the mix. When I tried to install it, I had leaks at almost every one of the runners where they meet the head. The heads were stock and only had a valve job. I used brand new Felpro LS1 gaskets and can't figure out the issue. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FelPro's...is that the 2 piece flat set or the 8 individual rubber seals? I (re)used the original factory seals on my Victor Jr and had no sealing issues. However, torqueing the bolts was pretty scary. At each "step" they felt like they were gonna strip out, but eventually, they all held OK. IIRC, I went around the pattern 3x's at each "step" (or until no further bolt movement was detected), then went to the next step.

Russ
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S10xGN
FelPro's...is that the 2 piece flat set or the 8 individual rubber seals? I (re)used the original factory seals on my Victor Jr and had no sealing issues. However, torqueing the bolts was pretty scary. At each "step" they felt like they were gonna strip out, but eventually, they all held OK. IIRC, I went around the pattern 3x's at each "step" (or until no further bolt movement was detected), then went to the next step.

Russ
They are the 8 individual O-ring type. Maybe I didn't torque them enough. It says only 11 ft/lbs but maybe I need to do a little more. When you say "step" are you referring to installation instructions?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeper04
They are the 8 individual O-ring type. Maybe I didn't torque them enough. It says only 11 ft/lbs but maybe I need to do a little more. When you say "step" are you referring to installation instructions?
11 ft/lbs sounds right, I think the Edelbrock instructions said that... Seems like I used 132 in/lbs. By "step" I meant that I torqued my bolts in 3 steps, like 40, then 80, then 132 in/lbs. Be sure that you follow the pattern and go around each step increment until the bolts no longer move. Remember, you're compressing rubber seals, not the old fiber type gasket...

Russ
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S10xGN
11 ft/lbs sounds right, I think the Edelbrock instructions said that... Seems like I used 132 in/lbs. By "step" I meant that I torqued my bolts in 3 steps, like 40, then 80, then 132 in/lbs. Be sure that you follow the pattern and go around each step increment until the bolts no longer move. Remember, you're compressing rubber seals, not the old fiber type gasket...

Russ
Thanks. I'll give that a try and see if that takes care of the issue.