Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Exhaust sizes etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Exhaust sizes etc...

Ok here's the deal, I had Stainless steel true duals installed about a week ago. I noticed a big diff in bottom end, mid range and I thought top end. I raced a friend of mine and noticed my top end kinda sucks now. Here's my idea of why, I had a 3in y-pipe before well they cut the y-pipe and hooked up the 2 1/2 in duals to where the piping comes off of the headers. On the drivers side there is about 2ft of 3in pipe that connects to 2 1/2in , and about a foot on thd pass side of 3in that connects to the 2 1/2 in. Because the 2 1/2in was inserted into the 3in and then welded could this be causing a big drop in flow. I noticed when revving in neutral that between 4k-redline the engine stumbles and acts like it's hitting the rev limiter. I'm guessing due to restrictive flow. Do you think if I have the cats removed and the 3in pipe removed and have straight 2 1/2in coming off the headers and all the way back that will help? Thanx.

-Sly
Old 12-04-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah something is not right, I would think with the duals you should have gained throughout the entire powerband just not down low. I have read before on here that people running a reducer and not having a smooth transition causes too much turbulance inside the pipes thus causing problems. Maybe someone with firsthand experience will chime in.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah get rid of the cats they are evil.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanx for the reply, I'll be getting rid of the cats tommorow
Old 12-04-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just a ?, why didn't you go with 3", I think you would of saw a signifigant gain up top but might of lost a tiny bit down low. Of course when are you ever racing in the lower RPM's. Get rid of those cats and tell us whats up. Good Luck

Wes
Old 12-05-2003, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

The turbulance might be causing the O2 sensor to get false readings since the gases aren't flowing correctly. I'd get a smooth reducer from 3" ro 2.5" welded in since they are pretty cheap.