Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/9 Questions & Front Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default LQ4/9 Questions & Front Accessories

I was wondering why the F-Bodies cannot use the LQ4's accessory routing. Do the accessories on the LQ4 have to be rearranged or will I need entirely new accessories from an LS1? I also heard that I would need to tap/drill to install the alternator as well as other accessories? Is this true? Where can I find the LS1 accessory set and how much should I expect to pay for it?

Other questions, mainly about the heads.

The did the LQ4 and LQ9 come with the same heads? Are they the same as the LS1 heads? If not, do they flow better or worse?

What number heads does the LQ4/LQ9 use and what about the LS1?

Does the higher the value on that number represent better flowing heads?

Will a P&P job on stock LS1 heads get them flowing anything close to L92 heads?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was wondering why the F-Bodies cannot use the LQ4's accessory routing. Do the accessories on the LQ4 have to be rearranged or will I need entirely new accessories from an LS1? I also heard that I would need to tap/drill to install the alternator as well as other accessories? Is this true? Where can I find the LS1 accessory set and how much should I expect to pay for it?
It depends on what you are putting it into, if its a F car I think you will have clearance issues. You would need to drill and tap one hole only for the alternator.

Other questions, mainly about the heads.

The did the LQ4 and LQ9 come with the same heads? Are they the same as the LS1 heads? If not, do they flow better or worse?
LQ4 and LQ9 have the same heads. They flow as good as the 243 heads I heard but the combustion chamber is bigger so the CR goes down.

What number heads does the LQ4/LQ9 use and what about the LS1?
317 for the LQ4 and LQ9.

Does the higher the value on that number represent better flowing heads?
Nope, just its just a number.

Will a P&P job on stock LS1 heads get them flowing anything close to L92 heads?
Nope, the L92 heads flow some crazy numbers, I think you would need aftermarket LS1 heads to get those numbers.