Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe question

I have a 99 z28 with Dynatech LT's, and a Magnaflow CB. Recently I was told that Magnaflow makes a kit that replaces the cats on the Ypipe so it would be ORY. I have been looking all over the place for the kit I was told about and was wondering have any of you seen or heard of this? I was wanting to make my exhaust a little bit louder without having to buy a ORY pipe and having to buy cutouts. Does anyone know where I should look?
Old 10-29-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
I have a 99 z28 with Dynatech LT's, and a Magnaflow CB. Recently I was told that Magnaflow makes a kit that replaces the cats on the Ypipe so it would be ORY. I have been looking all over the place for the kit I was told about and was wondering have any of you seen or heard of this? I was wanting to make my exhaust a little bit louder without having to buy a ORY pipe and having to buy cutouts. Does anyone know where I should look?
So Im assuming you currently have a catted-y? Your longtubes would be in place of the stock cats. If you are just wanting more sound the best bet would be a cutout on the bottom of the 'Y'. If you want to go no cats you just need an ORY.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1998Z28LOADED
So Im assuming you currently have a catted-y? Your longtubes would be in place of the stock cats. If you are just wanting more sound the best bet would be a cutout on the bottom of the 'Y'. If you want to go no cats you just need an ORY.

I have Magnaflow hiflow cats on the magnaflow ypipe. The thing was the place I originally had my car tuned and worked on at, the mechanic told me that there was tubing that could either clamp on or weld on in place of the cats. Idk if this is true or not but I was hoping there was a kit like this because I wanted to keep the exhaust and not have to buy a ORY.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
I have Magnaflow hiflow cats on the magnaflow ypipe. The thing was the place I originally had my car tuned and worked on at, the mechanic told me that there was tubing that could either clamp on or weld on in place of the cats. Idk if this is true or not but I was hoping there was a kit like this because I wanted to keep the exhaust and not have to buy a ORY.
I doubt you would need to buy a kit. A shop could simpily cut the cats out of that Y and weld two foot long (aprox) pieces of new pipe in. The only problem is the work may cost you more than a new Y pipe. First step would just be getting a quote if you can find a place that will actually cut cats out. I know some places around here wont do it unless they are bad. It may be cheaper to get a new one and clamp it up yourself. I dont think the car will get a whole lot louder (more drone), though it may become a little raspy sounding. Regardless of what Y you have you are still going to loose the function of your rear O2 sensors w/o the cats. Either way youre going to be in the market for a little tuning. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Go to an exhaust shop and have them remedy the problem.