Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Have Pacesetter LT Leaking Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Have Pacesetter LT Leaking Problems?

Everysince I have installed PaceSetters I have had a horrid Leak. I used the Stock GM gaskets that I picked up from their parts department. You really cant hear it untill like you are in a cruising gear and giving it some gas, then you can gear it bad. You can hear it at idle too outside of the car. All bolts are tightened perfect and I have even redone them several times. I dont know what to do????? Is there such thing as the Header itself having a leak in the flange? I need some help because the car sounds damn good except for the FN leak. Thanks...

Scott
Old 12-08-2003, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

i'm pretty sure i have a leak on mine also, i'm not quite sure where yet...i haven't had time to trouble shoot
Old 12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Teching In

r u having a problem with decrease in power? i just installed mine and im running them open for now. when i go to give it power, it bogs and sputters instaed of letting out all its power. this happening to you?
Old 12-08-2003, 05:08 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Is it more prominent by the collector?
Old 12-08-2003, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigBlackZ28
Is it more prominent by the collector?
come to think of it, my toilet is actually leaking. It's pretty bad, there's water everywhere and the shmuck who owned the house previously installed carpets in the bathroom

Sorry if it was off the subject
TTT for ya
Old 12-08-2003, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by darkoctave99
r u having a problem with decrease in power? i just installed mine and im running them open for now. when i go to give it power, it bogs and sputters instaed of letting out all its power. this happening to you?

When I ran mine open it throws your front O2's off and make the car wanna die when getting on it. My check engine light was flashing and the car just wouldnt go. When i connected the pipe to it so the cold air couldnt couldnt back in through the exit, it ran just fine. If that helps. You can also go into your fuse box and pull the PC IGN and PC AMP it hink it is and turn the ignition on and off like 5 times but let them set for like 5 secs getting it enough time to reset then put them back in and do that a couple more time then start it up. You will run in a saftey mode untill you start it up again. Then you will b right back to where you started. Let me know.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Gev
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fierce-LS1
come to think of it, my toilet is actually leaking. It's pretty bad, there's water everywhere and the shmuck who owned the house previously installed carpets in the bathroom

Sorry if it was off the subject
TTT for ya
Hmmm... sounds like a shitty situation (pun definitely intended)

Man go over your set of headers because they might have holes.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got mine today, and i noticed at the flanges, on mine its not flat and smooth the welds are raised a tad on each port. could this cause a leak? i was thinking maybe i should grind it down so its completely flat?
Old 12-09-2003, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking the same exact thing, 99Z28RS
My MAC's have flat flanges, unlike these
I wonder why they couldnt have fit the primaries FLUSH with the flange, instead of having them go thru them
Old 12-09-2003, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea exactly what i ment.....so should i look into grinding them down?? or not worry.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Do not grind the flanges flush!! Those are there to actually help prevent leaks. When tightening the bolts, it centers all the pressure on the raised area. I had a set of headers that didn't have the raised area around the ports, and as soon as the flanges warped a little, they would never properly, and leaked like a bitch. So for your own benefit, pacesetter added that.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mbrZ28
Do not grind the flanges flush!! Those are there to actually help prevent leaks. When tightening the bolts, it centers all the pressure on the raised area. I had a set of headers that didn't have the raised area around the ports, and as soon as the flanges warped a little, they would never properly, and leaked like a bitch. So for your own benefit, pacesetter added that.
Nice !
Old 12-09-2003, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Sorry you have had a leak problem. My Pacesetters have been on for 5 months now and I used the gaskets that came with them. No problems so far, I agree with the above post DONT grind the flange smooth. I am probably in the minority using the PS gaskets but I think the raised flange compresses into the gasket helping to stop leaking at the header flange. I tightened the flange bolts like head bolts in a pattern,maybe this will help.