Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed poly motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just installed poly motor mounts

First off i want to thank Thunder Racing... yet again they pulled through for me. I ordered these on Wed., got them by Fri. Thanks TR!

The install is pretty easy/straight forward, just time consuming.

I did the pass. side first, pulled the whole motor mount/cast iron stand out. Once the starter is pulled out, this falls right out with the engine jacked up a little. Probably took me an hour tops to do this side.

The driver side sucks... at least with hooker LT's. I pulled the alt. out and only pulled the motor mount out on this side. That wasn't the tough part, the tough part was getting the motor mount back in.... the top/rear most bolt going into the block was a huge PITA... took me forever by myself to get the engine shifted right while having my hands up in there trying to start the bolt.
After that, it went right together.

A few notes, make sure you install the mount clamp bolts facing out, otherwise the threads will hit the block and not let the mount sit flush.
With a sharp 3/8" drill bit.. the rivots come right out... but scraping all the rubber out of the mounts was a pain.

all in all i am so glad i did this.... the mounts have eliminated my false knock between shifts(i have already put new sensors in and done all the fixes....)

The hookers were hitting on the K-member and i didn't want to cut anymore off of it... so this was a great fix..... oh and only a slight increase in cam associated car vibrations.... nothing i can't deal with.
I just threw some paint on things... so no paint-skill crackin

Anyways i am still uploading/editing pics... but hopefully this will help someone as i was unable to find any good pics of an install on the web.

http://community.webshots.com/user/riceetr

Thanks,

-Jarrod
Old 12-09-2003, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know what a pain in the *** they are!
im gonna go ahead and buy a set now, while the motor's out, instead of going thru that crap
Old 12-09-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

how difficult are they to install after the LT's are in and are they really necessary? i have more mods waiting to be put in than in my sig. thanks, Jess
Old 12-09-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

man, i hear you on the drivers side. i just put the mount in on the drivers side and it took me the better part of an afternoon. it really is a great mod though and well worth it. they keep the engine very still while not transmiting to much vibration through the car.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how difficult are they to install after the LT's are in and are they really necessary?
My hooker LT's were already on the car when i did mine. Just depends how your header primaries are routed.... i would guess that with any kind of exhaust, the minimum is starter removal on the pass side and alt removal on the driver side.
As far as necessary, i couldn't clearance things enough to prevent the engine from moving on shifts and banging my exhaust... so i felt a mm install was a good fix.

man, i hear you on the drivers side. i just put the mount in on the drivers side and it took me the better part of an afternoon.
he he... tell me about it... it was definitely miller time at the end of the install