Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a open Borla exhaust close to as good as a cut-out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
STF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a open Borla exhaust close to as good as a cut-out?

It seems like the Borla with no plates in it would serve the same purpose as a cut out. Isn't it a cut-out in itself? Am I missing something here?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

According to Paul at Thunder Racing there is no real difference between the solid plate and the big hole plate. I never noticed any difference at the track. Just sound.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:10 AM
STF Veteran

I don't understand how there couldn't be a difference. If that is the case then why do people run cut-outs? I thought that the point of a cut-out was to let the exhaust gases escape faster and less restricted. With that logic, there is now way that the exhaust gases don't escape any faster with the largest opened plate than they do with the closed plate and traveling through a muffler.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redlinez
According to Paul at Thunder Racing there is no real difference between the solid plate and the big hole plate. I never noticed any difference at the track. Just sound.

thats not true

I bet some cars with run faster with a solid plate and some will run faster with no plate....just depends on the setup. But there is a difference

and I think an open borla is just as good as a cutout, but i think it sounds better, and probably has better back pressure
Old 12-11-2003, 11:31 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here we go with the back pressure thing...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Here we go with the back pressure thing...
http://www.ws6.com/mod-5.htm

tell it to the dyno
Old 12-11-2003, 12:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tell it to the dyno... again...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll vouch for the Hooker Catback.....take out three bolts and the muffler and tailpipes drop off for your cut out, plus save 40 lbs or so
Old 12-11-2003, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 02redSS
http://www.ws6.com/mod-5.htm

tell it to the dyno
Your talking about a couple horsepower. That could be because the air temp changed, or the motor was slightly cooler when it was run. 1 to 2 HP on a dyno is consistant, you can't say that one is better than another.

The least amount of back pressure is the best. Why do you think all the big racers run open headers? If mufflers made more HP wouldn't they all have them?
Old 12-11-2003, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
ok? what are the details on the setup? where is the cutout?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeT/A
Your talking about a couple horsepower. That could be because the air temp changed, or the motor was slightly cooler when it was run. 1 to 2 HP on a dyno is consistant, you can't say that one is better than another.
ok, so as much as it supports your theory, it supports mine....it didn't make enough difference either way to prove either theory....

The least amount of back pressure is the best. Why do you think all the big racers run open headers? If mufflers made more HP wouldn't they all have them?
peak power, maybe....

it all depends what kind of power band you want....

my friend just put LT's on his car...he has borla and a cutout. He says it sucks driving with the cutout open now because the car has nothing down low....why? a little thing called back pressure.

but wait, we're all hardcore drag racers that care nothing about power bands right? take your cutout and peak numbers, i'll run my borla and take my torque
Old 12-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02redSS
my friend just put LT's on his car...he has borla and a cutout. He says it sucks driving with the cutout open now because the car has nothing down low....why? a little thing called back pressure.
That would be me! I tried running with the cutout open but i didn't like the way the car felt. Felt like when i just tapped the gas there was nothing there. I closed up the cutout and did the same thing and threw me into the seat.

btw- Aren't you supposed to be working?!?
Old 12-11-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "big" racers run open headers because they never see low RPM's. They're either doing high RPM clutch drops or launching at high RPM's off a t-brake. Now if those cars were to drive around town, they'd notice a difference down low.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put a cutout on my car and gained low end. The car came alive. I dont know about the dyno, but i know i gained some tq down low!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

My cutout is under the passengers seat about 1 foot behind the Y pipe. with the Mac headers and Y-pipe being 2.5 inch , I gain 18 hp over my Edelbrock catback with heads and cam. THe power is from off Idle to redline. I gain 2mph at the track with open cutout.
I love the tone of the cat back though and works great on the street for not giving away that the car is not stock unless you are up close. A car on the side of me usually thinks its a stock T/A