Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do about oil leak from bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do about oil leak from bellhousing?

Not really sure what section to post this because its not exactly a transmission problem but my bellhousing has a small hole right where it mates up to the rear of the oil pan and now there is an engine oil leak coming from the hole. Would welding this fix the leak or is there a better solution?
Attached Thumbnails what to do about oil leak from bellhousing?-photo-0083.jpg   what to do about oil leak from bellhousing?-photo-0085.jpg  
Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That usually means the rear main seal is probably leaking. Don't weld anything.

Verify that there is nothing at the top leaking, oil pressure sender, cam sensor etc. that may be running down. If the top is dry, its time to pull the transmission.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car hasnt been running in a few months and has the heads off. The only oil Ive added to it has been from lubing up the cam, the bores, and adding it to the oil pump. A bit after I lubed the bores I looked under the car to try and find a missing head alignment dowel and I noticed that a drip was forming from that hole on the bellhousing.

Quick Reply: what to do about oil leak from bellhousing?