Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker long-tube installation Question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hooker long-tube installation Question?

I have all the things I need to install the headers and y-pipe myself. I heard it was not a simple task so I have been asking around. The lowest price I have come to is $300. Is that about the right amount, or should I just spend the day and do it myself with a few buddies? I have the y-pipe that is made for the headers so there isnt any welding that will be neccesary. I also wanted to ask if there is any special tool needed to get to the back bolts on the manifolds to un-install them. I have been looking and they seem pretty far back.---Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Its pretty easy. You just have to get the car high enough. A set of gear wrenches is worth their weight in gold on these cars. Take the $300 and spend $50 on pizza and beer and get all your friends over to help, it shouldn't be a problem at all.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should do it yourself it is really not that hard, since its your first time it will probably take a day to do it. And gear wrenches make it alot easier to get the bolts on and off.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

As Felton stated, gear wrenches are a major help...
Also have an array of extensions and swivel joints to make the job easier. It is a pretty straight forward installation and can be done easily with help or by yourself. Save the $300 and buy other mods.

Make sure you get the car high enough...20 to 25 inches.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I would do it yourself to save yourself 300 bucks. I had a friend help me on mine and it took about 8 hours on a lift with me triple checking every thing we did. I wouldn't think it would take much longer without a lift unless you did not have the car high enough or you were doing it by yourself. Even on the lift it would be hard to install them yourself b/c supporting, and holding the header square while screwing the bolts in would be a pain w/o a friend. Like mentioned above, have a wide variety of tools to use b/c each spark plug and header bolt is different.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:20 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

following the consesus do it yourself:

basic hand tools
jack/jack stands
patience
time

thats all you need. getting your car high enough is key, a breaker bar come in handy also.

a header Y install is pretty straight foward but if you get stuck: http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=57