Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would TD's be worth power-wise over my cat back w/cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would TD's be worth power-wise over my cat back w/cutout?

Right now I have a Magnaflow catback with a 3" e-cutout before the axle. Car has long tubes as well. I'm wondering what a true dual 3" system would be worth, probably dumped before the axle. Current setup is MS3 cam, PRC stage 2.5 heads, all the bolt ons, etc. I like how quiet the car is with the cutout closed, not looking to shake the earth like my other cars. Its not my DD, but its definitely a driver and not a race car.

I also occasionally run a small 125 shot.

If its only gonna be worth a few HP, its not worth it. Just wondering how much a single 3" is hurting me vs. dual 3".
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id like to know as well!! hopefully somebody can post any times, hp gains switching from a ORY/catback to duals. ive thought about ditching my catback for a tru duals. but im skeptical on ground clearance.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably not worth it since you have a cut out, just open it up when you want the extra ooomph....
Old 01-11-2010, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

that big of a cam....my guess would be almost 10hp in the upper rpm range.

i noticed a nice gain when i put my TDs on my cammed car. nothing earth shattering, but it did pull harder 4000+

you could always put a 4" merge on the ypipe, into some 4" pipe to a 4" cutout, then reduce it down to the catback you have.

with the c/o open you'll have plenty of flow...closed you'll have nice mellow sound
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
that big of a cam....my guess would be almost 10hp in the upper rpm range.

i noticed a nice gain when i put my TDs on my cammed car. nothing earth shattering, but it did pull harder 4000+

you could always put a 4" merge on the ypipe, into some 4" pipe to a 4" cutout, then reduce it down to the catback you have.

with the c/o open you'll have plenty of flow...closed you'll have nice mellow sound
Thats what I had on my blower car. Worked great, but I ran into clearance problems with the suspension when I went with a new swaybar.

Wonder how much difference it would make?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
On The Tree

I noticed a good gain over my ORY/LM1 Setup. The X pipe helped alot downlow. Thats something you wont get from a cut out.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

ill tell you this, my QTP paired with o/r H and dynomax bullets picked up quite a bit over my SLP LTs o/r Y lm2 + cutout setup. Sound is louder in the car due to the dumps but well worth the money. Didnt get louder really, just defines the cam more. Heres a vid of the dumps.

Yes ive fixed the tune, it was the aluminum flywheel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdiNfJUs2n0