Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro z28 install trouble with SLP Ypipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Camaro z28 install trouble with SLP Ypipe

So i bought the full setup headers and exhaust. The problem is that the ypipe mount location does not match the stock mounts. SLP's site says its compatiable with anything but automatic convertibles, I have an automatic but not a convertible and I believe they say that about automatic convertibles because of the header fit, not the ypipe.

The more I look into this issue, I found that the instructions don't mention anything about automatic vs manual but all the pics are from a manual tranny setup. Not that it really matters because their install instructions are pretty generic.

Has anyone put this setup on their camaro? If so what problems if any did you run into.

Looking for automatic owner's responses. Thanks all!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Launching!

You get the high flow cats also?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Launching!

Yup. I got package from slp for a 2000.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Launching!

I think the point im trying to make is that when you compare the manual mount position and length to the auto, the positions are different by about 2 to 3 inches side to side. I believe that slp designed their ypipes for manual transmissions but failed in attempting to tell the public that since they say "not for automatic convertibles" not "not for automatics".

I hope i am wrong and this is a installation issue.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Ok just wanted to relay the information I found. When putting the ypipe on make sure that you don't tighten anything down. Just piece them together front to back and tighten up the mounts to the transmission first. Then move the pipes and cats until the caps are not longer showing. On the driver side put a piece of wood about 3/4" thick between the ypipe and the floorboard where its closet to the floorboard. If you don't do this then you could have issues with the ypipe hitting the floorboard when you have torque applied to the driveline. BTW its a pain in the *** to correct if you already clamped everything down the first time.