Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what would cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what would cause this?

I get low oil pressure most of the time after the car warms up. It will be at 45-50 on start up but after about 10 minutes of driving, it will drop down to 20-30 while stopped. It will move up pretty quick to 60 or so when I go wot every time. The oil guage does seem bounce around some and shakes kinda at times. It did this on my old engine(same car) and the previous owner tells me it never did this when he had it. There is only 60,000 miles on this engine. Does it sound like the oil pressure sending unit is going out? What are the symptoms of the unit going out other than pegged to 80? The car is always full of oil and it has a ported ls6 oil pump. Anyway to test it?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't worry bout it...when its cold the motor idles slightly higher and the oil is lil thicker. Both sbc's I have and the ls1 I had did the same. 10 psi per 1K rpm is what is considered to be a minimum so 20-30 at right under 1k wouldn't cause any problems.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah if anything it's going to be your Oil pressure sending unit... my 02 5.3 silverado did that too the oil gauge would bounce around kinda and fluctuate a lot and at start up it would tell me i have low oil pressure... replaced it and it's all good now! oh mine leaked too... run your hand behind the intake manifold and feel around to see if you can feel any oil from there or see if it's broken but don't play with it too much cause then you WILL break it... lol
Old 01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
yeah if anything it's going to be your Oil pressure sending unit... my 02 5.3 silverado did that too the oil gauge would bounce around kinda and fluctuate a lot and at start up it would tell me i have low oil pressure... replaced it and it's all good now! oh mine leaked too... run your hand behind the intake manifold and feel around to see if you can feel any oil from there or see if it's broken but don't play with it too much cause then you WILL break it... lol
That's what mom said and I have not broke it yet I'll check behind the intake and see if I feel anything. I can live with it like this if it's not hurting anything but it would be good to have it working.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i would just replace it there only like 40 bucks, if that doesnt work theres not much to worry like said above but it would be nice to know if its just the sending unit or if its the motor or gauge