Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Headers and LPP True duals video

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default QTP Headers and LPP True duals video

I ran out of daylight, so I'll get some pictures to show how it all fits tomorrow..but here's a quick cell phone video of a startup and a few revs after just finishing the install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYkutevaKg

Last edited by Mike454SS; 03-26-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

For what it's worth, installing the QTP headers is easy...pull the dipstick tube and starter on the passenger side and you'll have the header in the car 5 minutes later...mine was VERY VERY close to a tab on the frame (not the k-member) and wound up tapping it...but it was very easy to bend the tab away a bit. Drivers side also isn't bad...there's a heatshield on the bottom of the floorpan protecting the clutch line, I took it off, took the oil filter off, got the car way up, and that header went right in too...new oil filter, put the heat shield back on, and done...

For the O2 sensor wiring, I simply opened up the blue connector at the PCM and swapped the wires in pins 25 and 26, as well as 28 and 29, as well as 65 and 66 and then also 68 and 69. The heater circuit for each O2 is straight up ignition power and ground, so those wires I said to swap are the high and low signal wires for each of the 4 O2 sensors...once they're swapped, you just plug the O2's in the header collectors into the rear connectors under the car, so you don't need any special sensors, or any special extension harnesses, and you either plug a pair of simulators into the front connectors, or turn them off in the PCM (I did that in HPTuners). As long as you swap those wires, the rear connectors are actually the "front" O2 sensor plugs now, so the car runs closed loop perfectly as it should.

After that, I thought I'd be modifying the LPP pipes to fit the QTP's...I was wrong, it fits great. It's tight to the floorpan on the drivers side...but thats fine with me...the QTP header makes you have to rotate the drivers side head pipe a little, so the O2 bung LPP provides points down at a 20 degree angle...not so bad, and my O2 is in my header anyways, I just have a plug in the bung.

Exhaust took me about 2 hours to install tonight...because it's cold outside so my hands kept fumbling on wrenches, and I was having trouble holding the X pipe up with my legs while slipping all the pipes in front of it together (have someone there to help you if you can)...but overall it's not too bad...2 hours by myself in the cold and dark means it's really pretty easy.

It tucks up decently...I might modify the X pipe in the future to tuck it up a little tighter, but I'll see how it is tomorrow in the daylight.

The cell phone actually did a half decent job capturing sound, which surprised me.

The mufflers seem to work really well...the car is NOT all that loud, it's MUCH MUCH louder without those muffler pipes installed after the X pipe. They look to be a 2.5" ID all the way through the muffler.

The few welds the LPP stuf has look EXCELLENT, on the X and on the O2 bungs and a seam on a pipe...I'm very impressed with the quality of the work...I know you can get a regular catback (without a Y) for a similar price (magnaflow)...but it won't be true duals, and won't be 321 SS (Magnaflow mufflers are magnetic...so I'm pretty sure they're 409...which WILL rust).

So I am happy...if I wind up modifying anything for ground clearance, I will post up about it...but keep in mind, the system is intended for LPP headers, not the QTP's I have...so they might situate the X a little bit better under the car than my headers do...though it's pretty dam good right where it is.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did you buy QTP headers?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

I picked them up used from a member on the board...he either didn't have a Y pipe for them, or didn't want to sell it with them, but that was cool with me, I just wanted the headers anyways.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Sounds good! I will second the fitment and sound of the TDs. Top notch for the price..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

We've pretty much just had rain ever since...it seems like that is coming to an end soon though, so I'll try to get more pics/vids then.