Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor & tranny mount

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor & tranny mount

'ello all

I'm fixing to do a LT/ory install soon and everything I've read says it is a good idea to replace the stock motor mounts at the same time. I'm curious though if it is necissary to do the tranny mount as well, or if it can stay till I start on an m6 swap sometime down the road?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Check this thread out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...r-written.html

Basically, the consensus is whatever you do for your motor mount, your tranny mount needs to be, at MOST equal to the stiffness of your motor mount. In other words, poly mm + poly trany = Ok, poly mm + rubber tranny = ok. rubber mm + poly trany = NO! So, based on that, if you upgrade your motor mounts to polys and leave your rubber tranny mount, you'd be good.

I'm about to do my MMs next weekend when my headers come in, so, for now, I'm just relaying info I've read here.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no need to change the tranny mount. good luck with those motor mounts, they're a real bitch.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I would just leave the tranny mount alone with the stock rubber. Your gonna get alot more vibration/noise up the shifter with the poly esp. if its a DD car. Just my opinion though. I did my motor mounts they werent that bad. i just tack welded the polys back into the clamshell and lined up the mounts with a long punch put the bolts in and then tacked then end of the frame bolts throught the mounts so i know they wont back off and there ya go, Good luck bro!
i do have a poly tranny mount sitting aroud the house somewhere if ya need it!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I had found the guide on a different site, but the 9 pages of tips and comments are helping to put the install in perspective.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did just the poly motor mounts and left the trans mount stock and that was about 2 years ago... so yeah you do not have to do the trans mount.