Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you check Crank sensor & Cam Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you check Crank sensor & Cam Sensor

Putting a LS1 ina rod and have reached the crank up point. Don't have fire at plug leads so have gone to trouble shoot and have power at pink wire on coils but have not been able to determine if crank sensor is working. Need help with checking crank sensor and the cam sensor or maybe some troubleshooting advice. Harness is a 99 LS1.
Another question the coils are from a 98 LS, does that matter and I think the crank sensor could be from an 98 too??
Thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deelli
Putting a LS1 ina rod and have reached the crank up point. Don't have fire at plug leads so have gone to trouble shoot and have power at pink wire on coils but have not been able to determine if crank sensor is working. Need help with checking crank sensor and the cam sensor or maybe some troubleshooting advice. Harness is a 99 LS1.
Another question the coils are from a 98 LS, does that matter and I think the crank sensor could be from an 98 too??
Thanks
year of the coils won't matter, easiest way I know is to plug into a diagnostic scanner...it will have a code for crank sensor or cam sensor if those are the culprit

my crank sensor came unplugged once and the car died and would not start...when starting if you have a tach see what it does...my tach didn't show any rpms while cranking
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Ok... I do have a scanner and have plugged in to look and there are no codes that give me any indication of a problem with either sensor. Are you saying if I see any sign of RPM reading (thinkI remember seeing something on the scanner for LIVE checks after cranking) the crank sensor is working? I'm going to work on some sort of test light or ssomething to look for pulsing at the injectors, as I believe that also gets a signal from the crank sensor. I appreciate the advice and welcome more.
Thanks

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
year of the coils won't matter, easiest way I know is to plug into a diagnostic scanner...it will have a code for crank sensor or cam sensor if those are the culprit

my crank sensor came unplugged once and the car died and would not start...when starting if you have a tach see what it does...my tach didn't show any rpms while cranking
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Could really use help from someone who has done troubleshooting with these sensors.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

that's correct it is my understanding when the crank sensor is unplugged or damaged the rpms will either max out rpm reading or read zero during cranking

I'm unsure about testing the cam sensor
Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you could get hold of an automotive oscilloscope you could observe the CKP and CMP waveforms... this would be the only reliable way to see if the sensors are good (it also shows if the reluctor wheels are good).

Another way is to observe the AC voltage using a DMM... a good DMM will also tell you the frequency of the pulses, but this doesn't show the shape of the waveforms.

Quick Reply: How do you check Crank sensor & Cam Sensor