Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please recommend me an intake....

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please recommend me an intake....

Hey everyone, I just picked up an '01 SS and it's my second F-Body. The first one was left totally stock and therefore I'm not too familiar with the best mods available for the car. I'm looking to install a cold air intake in the car and am currently looking at the Volant and the SLP. Which one of these would get the job done better? The Volant is a little cheaper but I'll pay more for a better quality product.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28fernando
Hey everyone, I just picked up an '01 SS and it's my second F-Body. The first one was left totally stock and therefore I'm not too familiar with the best mods available for the car. I'm looking to install a cold air intake in the car and am currently looking at the Volant and the SLP. Which one of these would get the job done better? The Volant is a little cheaper but I'll pay more for a better quality product.

Thanks in advance.
I've got the Volant...

Pro's
-It looks badass (to most)
-Has a larger filter area (doubt it makes a huge difference)
-Works great on WS.6's with the Ram Air (gains are debatable)

Con's
-Fit's like crap
-Fit's like crap
-Fit's like COMPLETE crap

I had to do a lot of customizing to mine to get it to fit right... fits and works great now, but was a pain in the butt. For the money it costs I'd expect it to fit much better and be an overall better quality piece. Since modding it and running it for over a year now, I can say I'm pretty satisfied with it, and will probably keep it on for a while. But out of the box don't be too excited to install it in 5 minutes, it won't happen LOL

Most on here will tell you to go with a Lid setup, and I pretty much agree... It's cheaper and performs pretty close to the same. It really just comes down to what "look" you like better I suppose. If I were to go with a lid setup, I'd recommend the Fast Toys Performance lids...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have a whisper lid and an SLP CAI.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna go with the SLP lid, their CAI, and their smooth bellows. Maryland Speed is selling them as a package for 300 bucks
Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z28fernando
Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna go with the SLP lid, their CAI, and their smooth bellows. Maryland Speed is selling them as a package for 300 bucks
You can get a lid on the classifieds here for $90. (From me, for instance)
Generic Ebay smooth bellows for around $30.
And a Cold/Ram air kit on here for $75

Total: $195.