Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C not working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not working...

not sure if this is the right thread for A/C trouble but I had got my A/C filled with free-on when I first bought the car, it blew a/c for alil while ( hours worth ). The shop said they filled it with dye too but the very next day, I had warm air blowing out ... anyways, unless it's like UV dye or something, I don't see where it was leaking... I paid $60 bucks just for the re-fill, anyone know whats my next step to fixing this? I almost died today, driving around town breaking in my new monster 3 clutch ...

plz help, the heat is killing me lol
Old 07-07-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah my AC doesnt work either.. But thing is my car is not a DD I have 49k on it. In my case I think this seals rotted out from not using it

I hope if i recharge the system that it will hold....
Old 07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

1.) start car and have someone sit in the car
2.) pop the hood and locate the compressor
3.) note what's turning i.e. the pulley
4.) ask the person to turn on the AC
5.) look for the inner part of the pulley to click and start spinning

If #5 happens, then your compressor is engaging

While there are a plethora of potential causes...the fundamentals require the compressor being engaged, proper amount of refrigerant and a functioning condenser.

If the compressor short-cycles...on/off/on/off that usually means there is too little or too much refrigerant. In your case the former since you haven't messed with it.

Beyond that you're going to need proper diagnostic tools like gauges to check the high and low side pressures. If the compressor is engaging take it to a shop have and ask for an evac and recharge. They will put the proper amount of PAG oil and R134a. They can also do other checks if needed.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

9 times out of 10 when I have a car come into the shop with an A/C issue, its due to a leak. If the mech put a dye in it, it will be a UV dye. It is light green, but when its viewed with a black light and special glasses that filter out the black light, it glows a vibrant green. Your 'cheapest' method of diagnosing it properly would be to purchase one of those black light + glasses kits from the auto parts store. They are usually right there next to the R-134a recharge cans. Go over the entire system thoroughly with the car parked out of direct sunlight so you can see the green glow better. If it all leaked out within 24hrs, the dye should be quite evident. The other option is to bring it to a shop, preferably one with a leak detector so you dont have to keep wasting the refrigerant, your money and hurting the environment. Good luck and let us what you find.

BTW avoid the recharge kits with STOP LEAK or SEAL CONDITIONER! That stuff does more harm than good.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Teching In

*double post*

Last edited by TurboPoodle; 07-07-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: double post