Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on TSP duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Question on TSP duals

Got my TSP duals today and was checking everything out. Everything looks good with them but I noticed something that I had a question on from you guys that have them. I've had them once before but it was a while ago and I don't remember. All of the joints are a slip joint where the female end of the pipe is just bumped out to a larger diameter, but on the drivers side coming off the header there is actually a larger diameter pipe welded onto a smaller one... Didn't know why this was done this way, if you look inside the pipe it actually looks like the way it's done wouldn't be as smooth of a transition for flow. Just wondering why it was done this way and if that was the norm?? Here's some pics...

Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That little step in nothing to worry about. There is not enough change in
diameter to effect the exhaust flow considerably, or cause severe pulse reflections.

It's not ideal by any stretch, but don't feel as though you're missing
major amounts of power.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

well to answer your question exactly i'de have to be the guy that designed it. soooo no help there.

but don't worry i ran this system for the longest time with no trouble. only thing was the leaking but even that is not noticeable because the system is so free flowing to begin with. that and it's so loud you'd never know you had an exhaust leak. there are ways to fix it though if you are interested.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I wasn't super worried about losing a few hp over it, the design is so free flowing that I doubt it would matter much. I was just curious as to why it was done that way as opposed to bumping it like the rest of the system. I was thinking maybe it's because of the pipe shape, maybe it's difficult to get it into a machine to bump it? I don't know...
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine came in the mail a few days ago and I was sort of wondering the same thing...seemed a little odd.

Would you mind snapping a picture of the x-pipe area, if you still have the exhaust out of the car and handy? The x-pipe on mine looks a little wonky and I'm not sure if that's how they're coming now, or if mine's just "special".
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

X looks fine on mine...

Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

looking good, get as many pics as u can inside out, we want to @@