Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRont Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FRont Accessories

My car is quickly moving away from being a street car, so the next step I want to take is to remove the power steering and add a Manual Steering Rack.

The problem I'm foreseeing is the running of the accessory belt. I'm guessing I have two options:

1. Install an electric water pump at the same time and run a belt from the crank pulley to just the alternator in the stock location. Would I need a tensioner for this setup?

2. Run a "dummy" pulley where the power steering pump would be. I don't want to do this because I want to keep cleaning up my engine bay.

Any other options I'm missing? Are there any kits out there for just running an alternator? A lot of help would be appreciated, thanks.

PS: I know I'll need a new belt.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe you could relocate the alt to the passenger, make a bracket to mount it and the tensioner, and be able to keep the stock wp.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing some research with Google, I've found the following three options:

1. Alternator Bracket
This is exactly what I was looking for, the only problem is that I would need to manually adjust the alternator to keep the belt tight.

2. Vortec High Mount Alternator Bracket
Another option, but I was trying to keep the cylinder heads visible...not really a big deal, and it maintains the tensioner.

3. Street Rod Accessory Brackets
A lot more money than I wanted to spend, but it gets the job done, but will cover my cylinder heads.

Opinions?