Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UD Pulley Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default UD Pulley Questions

I'm looking to get some UD Pulleys to put on the car when I do my heads/cam/intake/fuel system swap. I'm looking at the various pulleys and honestly can't make sense out of the whole thing. I've heard that a 25% underdrive can kill the battery at idle, but I don't know if that's really true or just a myth. I've heard good things about the ASP and the March pulleys, but I can't find out what underdrive percent the March pulley is either.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Jim

EDIT: And yes, I searched, but came up with a ton of pages of threads that weren't related and they were all from 2005...
Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that if you're not drawing more than typical power (ie. you don't have a big sound system) then a 25% UD is usually safe.

The SLP pulley has walls to help prevent slippage. If you're really concerned about the alternator, they make an OD pulley for the alternator so there's no net drop in output.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

SLP/Powerbond is what I have-no problems. Some people complain they rust on the surface. Nice piece. Was worth a tenth on my car...
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there are lots of people here on tech who have no issues with an UP. I would go with SLP just for the extra wall height but I believe they are all basically the same and will net you the same results. Good buy for your money also
Old 09-13-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
there are lots of people here on tech who have no issues with an UP. I would go with SLP just for the extra wall height but I believe they are all basically the same and will net you the same results. Good buy for your money also
The SLP and Powerbond are the same pulley. One just comes in an SLP box. I picked up my 25% UD Powerbond from New Era (http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...V=pbu148ss25|0) and got it fast! Never had a charging issue on my 01 WS.6. Also have an SLP on my wife's cammed WS.6, and no problems there either.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

how about the fluidampr UD pulley?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
I've read that if you're not drawing more than typical power (ie. you don't have a big sound system) then a 25% UD is usually safe.

The SLP pulley has walls to help prevent slippage. If you're really concerned about the alternator, they make an OD pulley for the alternator so there's no net drop in output.
This is true, unless you have a bunch of electrical add ons you should have no issues at all.

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
The SLP and Powerbond are the same pulley. One just comes in an SLP box. I picked up my 25% UD Powerbond from New Era (http://www.neweraperformanceparts.com/default.asp?S=503&A=E&PKV=pbu148ss25|0) and got it fast! Never had a charging issue on my 01 WS.6. Also have an SLP on my wife's cammed WS.6, and no problems there either.
Thanks for the mention!!! glad you are enjoying your mods!