Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 alternator bracket corvette/F-body question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 alternator bracket corvette/F-body question

Hi everyone, this question may have been beaten to death, but I haven't been able to find an answer after several hours of research...

I have a 03 LS6 motor (going in a 63 nova) with the corvette water pump/pulley and corvette balancer/pulley. I would like to install a lower drivers side 98'-02' F-body alternator bracket and alternator on this setup. From the research I have been doing, there is a 3/4 inch difference in depth between the corvette and f-body setups. Can I just shim out the F-body bracket to line up with the corvette accessories? The F-body brackets/accessories seem to be much cheaper anyway (Engineering student on a budget).

Thank you for any help you guys can offer!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. The corvette accessories are closer to the block due to more constricted engine bay. You need to use the f-body crank pulley if you use f-body accessory brackets.

I swapped an 03 LS6 into my 99 TA and had everything on. I started the car and it immediately threw the belt, which is when I found out about this problem
Old 09-20-2010, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

So if I wanted to use the lower alternator mount from an F-body, I'd have to change my water pump pulley too? ...or get a new f-body water pump altogether?

Haha! Wheew! Thanks for your reply, you just saved me some $$$!

Last edited by NovaKid; 09-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if the water pump pulley is different, GM seems to have used one style on most of the vehicles.

I would say, get a stock f-body crank pulley (they gotta be like $5 I have 3 of them in my garage) and get it on. The f-body accessories are cheaper than the vette ones I would be willing to bet. Get an alt bracket and the tensioners and you should be good to go. You will need a new crank pulley bolt, they are torque to yield and new ones cost $5.

Once you get all that, see if the belt fits with the vette water pump, if it does then keep it, if not bring it to autozone as a core for an f-body one, they don't know the difference anyways. With some scavenging of boneyards and the classifieds, you should be able to do it all for under $150.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again for the info Arc00TA! That sounds like a good plan!
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

BTW, I guess the water pumps are the same. I just saw a company online that sells a high flow water pump:

High Flow Aluminum Water Pump for LS1/LS6.

This High Flow aluminum water pump flows about 30% more liquid then stock. Uses as a stock replacement or for high horsepower cars that need extra cooling power.

* FitsCamaro / Firebird 1998-02 LS1
* Corvette 1997-04 LS1/LS6
* GTO 2004

Quick Reply: LS6 alternator bracket corvette/F-body question