Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bearings on the crank-ls1

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearings on the crank-ls1

ok so i think i have a spun bearing. due to an improperly installed rod bolt. i know i have to drop the k to get to the pan. im no engine builder so can i drop the crank and have new bearings put on it and reinstall to make it ready to go??? is there any thing else needed to do this?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

is there anything special they have to do to it before reinstall? dont think its damaged, just a bearing.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need to pull the engine and go through it when a bearing spins it may damage the crank or rod and may require machining only way to tell is pull the cap and rod and check to see. Also when the bearing spins it starts losing material rapidly spewing it throughout the motor so it all needs to be cleaned out of the block before it can be rebuilt.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

thanks. like you said need to pull the engine. not sure exactly what it is yet. the piston sounds like its hitting the heads on the 1 cyl only. think its due to one of the rod bolts. was done while doing a h/c install. called tsp and all clearances are good. so just assuming that was the prob and probably a spun bearing due to oil press going from a steady 60 to 40 45. pulled the oil filter and ripped it open. looked like graphite in the oil but not much. car was sitting for a month or two since cranked.