Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

porting exhaust runners on TFS 215cc ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default porting exhaust runners on TFS 215cc ??

hi

curious to know if people are porting exhaust runners on ported cnc heads for bigger headers

like for example iīm running TFS 215cc heads on 402ci, and using 1"7/8 kooks now, and itīs definently a lot of material that could be ported out to match the headers

But the question is am i gaining anything on that?

are people doing that here.... or should it be left alone

please come in

baezi
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baezi z06
hi

curious to know if people are porting exhaust runners on ported cnc heads for bigger headers

like for example iīm running TFS 215cc heads on 402ci, and using 1"7/8 kooks now, and itīs definently a lot of material that could be ported out to match the headers

But the question is am i gaining anything on that?

are people doing that here.... or should it be left alone

please come in

baezi
You may or may not make gains from this. I would think going from an interrupted exhaust flow to smooth free flowing that you will definitely gain at least something.

A lot of people take brand new CNC'ed heads and send them off to get hand finished too so your not the only one.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djfury05
You may or may not make gains from this. I would think going from an interrupted exhaust flow to smooth free flowing that you will definitely gain at least something.

A lot of people take brand new CNC'ed heads and send them off to get hand finished too so your not the only one.
It makes sense to grind and matche the exhaust runners to the headers for better and more flow

but i find that some people donīt agree doing that to LSX heads, i donīt really know why ??

but TFS 215cc heads are perfect for the 346 comboīs

baezi
Old 09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baezi z06
It makes sense to grind and matche the exhaust runners to the headers for better and more flow

but i find that some people donīt agree doing that to LSX heads, i donīt really know why ??

but TFS 215cc heads are perfect for the 346 comboīs

baezi
maybe those people who don't agree don't trust the porter or they just don't think there is an advantage to this. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum. I think there are gains to be had doing this. The TFS 215's are a great head for 346s.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

I think theres definitely gains to be had. However, it has to be done right. Theres a reason they are the size shape and angle they are. You dont want to change the angle on the opening and you will also loose bottom end torque with bigger exhaust and bigger headers. Theres alot of fluid dynamics that goes into all that, its alot like back pressure at the cylinder. I dont know enough to explain it, you may just have to do more research on it.