Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whistling noise all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistling noise all of a sudden

I took my car out the other night and ran it pretty hard. Didnt drive it the next day and got in it today. Started it up and went to school. After the car ran for a while and got up to temperature I started hearing whistling noise. It sounds like its coming from the engine bay and dont think its the belt. What could be causing this whistling noise? It doesnt whistle at start up just after the motor is at normal running temp. Help me its already driving me crazy.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure about opens/closes when the engine gets to operating temp, but I know EGR does certain things between cold/normal operating temps. Can't think of anything on that system that would whistle tho?

I know on all 3 LS1s that I've had, the idler pulley will whistle from wear and tear, but that would be all the time
Old 11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Power steering pumps can whistle.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a whistle noise the other day and it ended up being the a vacuum hose came off the throttle body. Check your vacuum lines and make sure they are not loose. It might not be the same thing but you never now.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by atrain59
I had a whistle noise the other day and it ended up being the a vacuum hose came off the throttle body. Check your vacuum lines and make sure they are not loose. It might not be the same thing but you never now.
whistling noises are a sign of a vacuum leak somewhere. u gotta check throttle body gasket, intake manifold gasket, spray something in the creases and see if the sound goes away good luck!!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your PCV valve hoses as well, sometimes pressure will make the valve whistle. fix is to run a breather, filter on the hose thats causing it
Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

my camaro has a lid and a SSRA, it whistles all the time.

Quick Reply: whistling noise all of a sudden