Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking intake?

5.3 with ls6 intake. starts and idles fine but at part throttle it surges up and down, not steady. I have taken it on short runs around town and at stops it wants to die. AFR at idle is 15.5-16 or higher, gauge only goes to 16. When i shut it off there is a loud whistle, sounds like air. Is my intake leaking?
Old 02-20-2011, 02:04 AM
12 Second Club

spray carb cleaner around the intake/tb mounting surface. pay attention to where the idle increases as where your spraying. thats where you are getting a leak. no idle increase no leak...........
Old 02-20-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is you map sensor loose?is the vac line to the brake booster tight ?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Above are all good statements. I would check for vaccuum leaks everywhere and definitely if there is a way for you to put a thin paper strip around areas where you think it is leaking (in a garage preferably so no wind will hinder your results) this might tell you if the strip blows it is an area where there is a leak. I've heard of guys using soapy water around the areas (no electric components or they are taped up well) and wherever it bubbles it will be a tell tale sign of a leak. Could even be a bad gasket material..... So many things to check. I wish I had an easy answer for you. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Was thinking a MAF problem. usually a surging or hunting idle is a MAF/MAP issue. But an vacuum leak would do it too, but would idle like crap more than anything.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Teching In

thanks for advice, today i tried the carb cleaner trick and did find a leak at front of intake so i retorqued fasteners and that spot seems OK now but at shut down it still sounds almost like unplugging a hose from a compressor. no noise while running