Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car completely dead when trying to start

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car completely dead when trying to start

Alright, yesterday I go to start my car (98 Camaro SS 6spd) and when turning the key noticed that when I put it to the run position everything went completely dead (no IP lights, odometer dead, radio dead) then I turned it to start and it starts right up and everything came on. The trip was reset but everything seemed fine. Next time I go to start same thing except it wouldn't do anything when I try to start it. Today I checked the battery and it's fine. I would get some weird noises and clicking kinda like that battery is dead. So I was trying both keys I have in the ignition and nothing. All of a sudden my cd popped out of the radio. I left it there and 5 mins later it sucked it back in. Mind you I can't even get the lights to light up on the radio. Well I had the key in the run position and I decided to try my headlights. Flip them on and everything comes on and the car will start right up. Tried it a couple times and now everything is fine but I'm kinda afraid to drive it because I don't want to get stranded. I'm thinking its a loose ground or something. Any ideas?
Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad battery connection maybe - turning on the lights, etc may be causing enough load to override the corrosion temporarily.

Bird
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Terminals are tight, I will clean them again see if that helps. I won't be able to work on it until Friday.

Also today I was driving it after I got it started and the tach and speedo were going crazy and it kinda felt like my car was missing or something, then it almost died.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Could be loose/corroded battery leads or even a ignition switch getting ready to go south on you.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

OK had some time and I really went through and cleaned the crap out of the leads and it seems to be working. I've only drove it 3 miles so I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

I dunno when i had my battery die on me sometimes it would be just fine and sometimes it wouldnt and need a jump, then it just went completely out one day.. If its just the connections hopefully your good now!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

The battery is going on 2 years old now. Hope its still good. It got me to work, hopefully it will get me home.