Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reversed flowmaster merge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Reversed flowmaster merge?

Hey guys, looking for some input / advice / suggestions. I tried searching and only found a few questions that I MYSELF tried to slip in a few threads....

Here's my plan: I want to run the Mufflex Y, dual 3" to 4", into the 4" mufflex catback, or I guess I should say I-Pipe. )I'll probably sell the muffler / tips - Explanation below)

I'm thinking this b/c I've heard the Spintech Muffler isn't exactly the world's best for flow. Anyway, back on topic, I was THINKING of running a flowmaster merge in reverse on the I-Pipe after the axle. Kinda like how a loudmouth is, you know, after the axle, the way it splits right there....?

I know the flowmaster merge is great for venturi when you make 2 pipes go into one.... What if you brought (1) 4" pipe split to (2) 3" pipes, using the merge in reverse?

Reason for this whole idea is I want to run 6liter's 3" CME tips. I do not want a choke point in the system, thus the idea of ditching the spintech muffler to begin with.
I though of using 2 Borla XR1's or Magnaflow bullets in the two straight 3" pipes right before they take their last 90* into the CME tips. That should suffice for mufflers, so to speak. I don't care how loud it is. Doesn't bother me.

I hope I've explained it the best I can. Thoughts, suggestions, comments appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to split the 4" pipe into dual 3" pipes after the axle, without a lot of gas "collision" and turbulence.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was actually thinking about this the other day when I was looking at a sponsor's turbo piping. They used what appeared to be a FM Merge, but in the regular direction. I don't think the other ways of splitting the pipe are any better or worse.

I'd say go for it. It'd be nice to have dual 3" pipe at the back instead of this darn 2 3/4" crap.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:44 AM
The Scammer Hammer

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply too, I was kinda hoping you'd find this one too.

Someone has to ask the "tough" questions, LOL. Well, maybe mine are just well expressed and long to read.....
Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Any other suggestions guys? I'm trying to figure out a good transition for the 4" to the dual 3".......
Old 04-25-2011, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only problem I possibly see with that is size. The FM merge is decently long. Might be hard to position it after the axle and still get the tail pipes where you need them to be.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Yeah.... I've never really had one / seen one. Was kinda hoping I could trim it down, as I figure they put alot of extra material there to work with / weld on. I know they are frickin huge though. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I may have to just do a regular split.

Well, that's why we come here; To express thought and exchange ideas. I thank you all for the responses so far.