Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid header question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid header question?

I bought my car used and was told it had a SLP y-pipe with stock headers and I know it has a SLP LM1 catback with dual/dual tips. My question is what kind of headers do I need to match up with the SLP Y that is already on here? Do longubes mate directly to these or do mid lengths? I've been reading that the SLP Y isnt the greatest piece, would it worth my time to buy a whole new setup to mate to my LM1? I've been doing alot of searching the past few weeks but would like a direct answer to clear my confusion.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

When I bought my car it had factory manifolds and a slp ory & loudmouth exhaust. To the best of my knowledge, there are no headers that will mate up to that y-pipe. You will most likely have to buy your headers and a new y-pipe. From there, most y-pipes are desinged to bolt to most cat-back exhaust systems. However, if you dont have emisions concerns, then I recomend stepping up to a true dual system. Just my opinion.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the stockers are on it now, then shorty headers would match up. If you have a 99, you have the worst of the exhaust manifold design and may see a few horsepower going to shortys.

Your best gain would be a nice LT setup with high flow cats to go with the LM1 setup.

You should be able to sell your ORY easily on here.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Ok cool thanks for the info guys. I'll probably buy some ceramic pacesetter LT's and the TSP true duals and have a local shop do an over the axle setup since my car is lowered and I don't want it dumped. Then sell my SLP ORY and LM1