Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Exhaust slips backwards--Bandclamps slipping!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Exhaust slips backwards--Bandclamps slipping!

I have Hooker ceramic LTs with 3inch TSP catted y-pipe connected with their bandclamps. I have no leaks but the exhaust is slipping backwards and the CME pipes got into the CME plastic panel and started melting the edge on one side where it started touching. Put it on a lift at the exhaust shop and sure enough the system had slipped backwards at the header and the clamps are tight. Exhaust guy said he has seen it before with those thin smallish band clamps. My question is do they make a heavy duty larger band clamp to fix the situation or what solution is there except welding or tack welding a spot to the headers to keep the exhaust from moving backward. We got a dead blow hammer and tapped on the exhaust and it moved forward but i am sure it wont stay in place for very long.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use something like the Accuseal clamps, the pipe that slips over must be slotted so it can compress. There is also a Duraseal clamp that is like an Accuseal but is a bit thicker and clamps tighter - I have a couple of those on mine, and made the mistake of tightening them too much, which caused them to crimp my exhaust at the collectors. That means I'll have to cut the exhaust off the next time I want to drop it.