Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vortec intake clean-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec intake clean-up

Has anyone figured out how to clean-up the harness/wiring, fuel lines, beauty cover, etc., to make a Vortec manifold on a LS look decent?

I am planning to install a 5.3 truck engine in a 1930's 'Fat Fender' sedan, which has a tall (and narrow) engine bay, and can easily handle the setup.

I would like to keep the stock Vortec manifold for budget reasons, and because it makes good torque.

However, it looks butt-ugly (even when viewed from above)!

Any ideas?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by henry38
Has anyone figured out how to clean-up the harness/wiring, fuel lines, beauty cover, etc., to make a Vortec manifold on a LS look decent?

I am planning to install a 5.3 truck engine in a 1930's 'Fat Fender' sedan, which has a tall (and narrow) engine bay, and can easily handle the setup.

I would like to keep the stock Vortec manifold for budget reasons, and because it makes good torque.

However, it looks butt-ugly (even when viewed from above)!

Any ideas?
If you leave the cover off and reroute the harness. Then clean up the intake by removing the unneeded posts and brackets then paint.

Originally Posted by garys 68
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ok-good-2.html

There was another thread were a guy did this as well can't find it.

Or just buy a cheap LS1 intake and swap your TB over move the idle pulley, mod harness for car injector plugs, trim alt bracket, and mod WP. Pretty cheap and you have a car intake.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grind all the tabs off then sand it down smooth. will take some work but they look decent when cleaned up. heres a pic i found.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another option is to fabricate a beauty cover. Obviously the end result can be anything from horrible to incredible, but with a little creativity and some good fabrication skills, I'm sure you could come up with something nice.

Here are a couple quick examples I found, though I've seen plenty of similar examples that I liked better than these.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Found the original thread on the truck site.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...little-363603/

Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

It does look alot better shaved down. I have never seen anyone do that before. All that work though, I would just find a really cheap ls1 intake.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badeagle
It does look alot better shaved down. I have never seen anyone do that before. All that work though, I would just find a really cheap ls1 intake.
Its as much work as swapping the car intake with truck accessories it don't just fit. Which is not alot of work anyway. They guy said he painted it with kylon paint as well.

Quick Reply: Vortec intake clean-up