Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X vs H vs none

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default X vs H vs none

I've been thinking about going true duals on my car and I'm trying to format my system in my head and I was just curious as the real purpose of the X and H pipes. I know the X is suppose to be a little better for performance and the H is suppose to be for better sound but what about no join at all. What would be the downfall of just running two 3" pieces of pipe side by side all the way back instead of crossing them over. From my idea of it you would have better flow than having them cross. I just don't understand the purpose. Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I've been thinking about going true duals on my car and I'm trying to format my system in my head and I was just curious as the real purpose of the X and H pipes. I know the X is suppose to be a little better for performance and the H is suppose to be for better sound but what about no join at all. What would be the downfall of just running two 3" pieces of pipe side by side all the way back instead of crossing them over. From my idea of it you would have better flow than having them cross. I just don't understand the purpose. Thanks
From my understanding, the X/H pipes help with the scavenging effect.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From flowmaster's site:

Flowmaster has performed extensive dyno testing of traditional “H” pipes and various “X” pipe designs and has found that in most typical street applications, there are no clear benefits of one over the other. “X” pipes have become a buzz word in the world of performance exhaust, and are now produced in a wide variety of styles and designs. Some types perform well, and some others can be quite bad due to the excessive turbulence generated in the merge area. Unlike anything else available, Flowmasters Scavenger X-Pipe design features patented D-port technology to maximize the communication surface area between the two banks of cylinders, and maintain the exhaust pulse velocity for peak scavenging. In terms of sound, an X-pipe will generally provide a smoother, higher pitched tone than that of a traditional “H” crossover pipe. In some specialized race applications such as small cubic inch engines and /or restricted (small bore) carburetors, we have found that an “X” pipe can respond well over an “H” pipe. As with all race applications, there is no substitute for time on the dyno, developing the engine package as a system.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read on this site: www.drgas.com
Old 11-25-2011, 12:18 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

From what I've found after installing tons of both:

-X-pipes are louder and usually generate a little more drone
-H-pipes are a tad quieter with less drone
-Neither makes a significant increase in power vs. the other
-No intersection in the exhaust at all will negatively effect scavenging