Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-step...explain plz.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2-step...explain plz.

ok, ive been thinking of getting a 2step for the car. i do alot of street runs, and plan on picking up a 9" rear in the spring so i can start launching the car, and maybe get it to the track.

I understand what it does. i seen the MSD style, and it has 2 connectors on it.

1. How do you set the RPM on it? it looks very small, im assuming this isnt sumthing you can do on the fly?

2.Which ones have the no lift shift feature? this is one of the biggeset reasons id like to have one for street use, since everyone around here roll races... or can you even use it like this?

3.How is it activated? i Have an M6, and ive seen ppl tap into the clutch, but i thought it was all plug and play? also, will it activate while ur driving? ie, driving down the road and you push the clutch it and rev the motor.

can someone thoroughly explain this for me? i couldnt really find the answers im looking for

thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allout06
ok, ive been thinking of getting a 2step for the car. i do alot of street runs, and plan on picking up a 9" rear in the spring so i can start launching the car, and maybe get it to the track.

I understand what it does. i seen the MSD style, and it has 2 connectors on it.

1. How do you set the RPM on it? it looks very small, im assuming this isnt sumthing you can do on the fly?

2.Which ones have the no lift shift feature? this is one of the biggeset reasons id like to have one for street use, since everyone around here roll races... or can you even use it like this?

3.How is it activated? i Have an M6, and ive seen ppl tap into the clutch, but i thought it was all plug and play? also, will it activate while ur driving? ie, driving down the road and you push the clutch it and rev the motor.

can someone thoroughly explain this for me? i couldnt really find the answers im looking for

thanks
this is for the msd unit

1) you adjust it via two dials. one for thousand rpms and one for hundred rpm. example first dial set to 5 and second dial set to 2 is activated at 5200 rpms. if you extend the wires and mount the box in the cockpit you can adjust it on the fly, probably more of a pain in the *** than its worth though.

2) im not sure what the no lift shift feature lots of people talk about is, but basically if you have it wired into your clutch pedal it will be active anytime you push the clutch in which will limit the rpm during the time the clutch is depressed. i have never noticed a difference though. your trans and hydraulics are going to determine powershifting more than a two step

3) you can activate however you want with a one wire hookup through a 12v or a ground source. cant get much easier. on my application I used the clutch interrupt switch on the bottom of the clutch pedal, jumped the connector so the car will start (now without the clutch being depressed which doesnt bother me) and ran the switched ground wire to one side of the switch and the other side of the switch to ground. clutch is in = two step on, clutch released = two step off. dont have to think about it. you can wire it into a clutch switch, button, momentary switch, whatever you want

i love mine, I only use it at the track but it makes it exponentially more consistent and easier to dial in the launch. dialing in a launch is all about controlling as many variables as possible to see what effect suspension and tire changes have on the launch. cant get much more better than being able to launch at the exact same rpm and throttle position everytime to dial in the tires and suspension, then raise the rpm at 100 rpm intervals to find the best launch point
Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
this is for the msd unit

1) you adjust it via two dials. one for thousand rpms and one for hundred rpm. example first dial set to 5 and second dial set to 2 is activated at 5200 rpms. if you extend the wires and mount the box in the cockpit you can adjust it on the fly, probably more of a pain in the *** than its worth though.

2) im not sure what the no lift shift feature lots of people talk about is, but basically if you have it wired into your clutch pedal it will be active anytime you push the clutch in which will limit the rpm during the time the clutch is depressed. i have never noticed a difference though. your trans and hydraulics are going to determine powershifting more than a two step

3) you can activate however you want with a one wire hookup through a 12v or a ground source. cant get much easier. on my application I used the clutch interrupt switch on the bottom of the clutch pedal, jumped the connector so the car will start (now without the clutch being depressed which doesnt bother me) and ran the switched ground wire to one side of the switch and the other side of the switch to ground. clutch is in = two step on, clutch released = two step off. dont have to think about it. you can wire it into a clutch switch, button, momentary switch, whatever you want

i love mine, I only use it at the track but it makes it exponentially more consistent and easier to dial in the launch. dialing in a launch is all about controlling as many variables as possible to see what effect suspension and tire changes have on the launch. cant get much more better than being able to launch at the exact same rpm and throttle position everytime to dial in the tires and suspension, then raise the rpm at 100 rpm intervals to find the best launch point
ok thanks for the help man. is there a way to shut it off if you have it tapped into the clutch? if you push the clutch it to rev the car for whatever reason, would it stop at whatever point u have it set on? while moving that is.

The no lift shift, from my understanding, is that when you push the clutch in, it cuts the ignition for a split second and u can shift to the next gear without having to raise ur foot off the throttle. i guess its supposed to make it easier on the tranny??? i dunno, ive only read about it, and know next to noithing about it. lol

i just thought itd be something nice to have for the rare occasion i run into a dig race. but id want it where i could turn it on and off and without having to cut into a bunch of wires...i hate wiring...