Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rear main seal and rear cover install procedure.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about rear main seal and rear cover install procedure.

So in the process of replacing my clutch I decided to replace my leaking rear main seal. I found that the cover bolts are supposed to be 18 ft lbs. I didn't find what the two oil pan bolts are supposed to be torqued to though. Also, is there a pattern to how they get torqued (Like installing cylinder heads are)? How important is it that they actually get torqued to that value? And my last question is about the rear main seal itself. I purcased the Felpro rear cover set which included the seal and it has some sort of grease on the inside diameter of the seal with a white plug in it. After I install the seal and I remove the white piece should I wipe off all the grease or is it there for a reason? Sorry for all the questions guys but I just want do it right the first time and not ruin my new Monster clutch. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 207 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

if you follow the GM manual ........you need some special tools
Old 12-20-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started tightening from the middle out no paticular order (didnt even use a torque wrench)
I did use some silicone on the bottom corners of the cover. As far as the seal goes i wiped the
excess grease of it with my finger and bottomed it out on the cover. No leaks!
Old 12-20-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Let the seal center itself as you are tightening. Make sure both sides where they meet the block at the bottom are even (side to side) but don't pull down on the cover or you will off-center the seal. The seal is God on this install. I always tighten in a criss-cross pattern using judgement and experience NOT a torque wrench. That's my preference though.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd use a Tq wrench, that way you really know that all the bolts are tightened the correct/same amount, anyway who wants to take a chance of having to pull the trans again, maybe 01ssreda4 might; but not me!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd prefer not, but once you've torqued a ton of bolts you can get pretty darn close by feel

Quick Reply: Question about rear main seal and rear cover install procedure.