Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does it always happen this way....

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Why does it always happen this way....

So it's 47 out here in Illinois. So I decided to install my new Edelbrock 8896 waterpump. Have waterpump, 02-06 housing, mr gasket high flow thermostat, RTV sealant, antifreeze, new gaskets, and new drain plug because old one was leaking. Good to go right. Wrong!!

First off I could not find gaskets for a 98 camaro anywhere. Had to go to a dealer 20 miles away to get them. My lower radiator hose is starting to cave in so wanted a new hose. Nobody within 4 hours of here could get me a hose today. Had to be ordered. So was going to leave it on until next year when I flush the system again. So got car on ramps, drained radiator, took everything off, cleaned up the motor from the coolant, and put my new thermostat in the pump and went to install the pulley. Well, the stock pulley does not work with this pump. Did not know that because a vendor has on their site underneath the waterpump in red "Note: You must reuse your waterpump pulley with this product". WTF!! So went inside and checked online and I need aftermarket pulley. So bit the bullet and ordered 8898 pulley and Jegs Silicone hose kit for LS1 and had them overnighted. Won't ship till Tuesday so car will have to sit for 2 days now. All good to go now but will have to wait until parts arrive. Go outside and go to shut garage door and didn't realize when I put it up on ramps I didn't allow enough room to shut the garage door. I figured it would be done today. So had to push it off of ramps and that spilled coolant all over everything I just got done cleaning up after pulling the old pump. Damn!!! I'm running a fever, can't swallow, can't breath out my nose, and this goes this way. I should have stayed in bed.

I have a question out of all this though. When I bought the waterpump gaskets from the dealer they were paper. When I pulled the waterpump the gaskets were metal. Are these the upgraded gaskets? Can you re use these? They are only 4 month old from rebuild. They did not have RTV sealant on them at all but my Haynes manual says to put RTV on the gasket. Help me out here........
Old 12-26-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The aluminum WP seals with the built in O-rings are the seals you want to use. If there not damaged in anyway you can reuse them, and skip the rtv it isn't needed.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes you have to buy the pulley for the ELD pump....i used red high tack stuff to hold GM gaskets in place........the generic 1s that come with most pumps SUCK