Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?

I have a 2000 4.8 in my Sierra which had always used a little coolant up until recently where it turned into a gallon every 2 days, couldn't find the water going anywhere, thought it was a little run off from the water pump replacement. When i went to change my oil it was apparent the head gasket had been leaking for a long time.

I pulled off the passenger head and it was rough looked like there was a small fracture in the gasket between the pushrod galleys and coolant jacket up front. I have included pics, the motor has the milky sludge build up all in, just debating on if a gasket replacement will be sufficient for this motor to survive for more years.

I noticed when comparing the old gasket to the new one on the old one in the left corner the coolant hole is not there, but in the new felpro gaskets it is on both of them, new design? The old gasket was eaten to hell from the dexcool I assume.

Thank you for the help.
Attached Thumbnails Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?-hgoldgask.jpg   Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?-hgnewgasket.jpg   Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?-hghead.jpg   Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?-hgblock.jpg  

Quick Reply: Blown Headgasket on a 4.8?