Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gains w/ untouched 243 heads??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gains w/ untouched 243 heads??

I'm curious what kind of gains I would be looking at with some low mile stock untouched 243 heads over mu current 241's? I've got a local friend selling a set. Mods in sig below.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Completely untouched with stock thickness head gaskets, I think most would estimate 15-18rwhp. Cam might change that a little.

They are worth picking up cheap, but when doing your cost vs benefit analysis don't forget about a new tune, head bolts, head gaskets, the heads at least need surface ground, water pump gaskets, oil/filter, check valve springs/ height, etc.

It's a good bit of cost and labor. I held onto my 799s for a year until I could get them at least touched up. It also helped I was going to have to pull heads to remove damaged lifters anyway.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Completely untouched with stock thickness head gaskets, I think most would estimate 15-18rwhp. Cam might change that a little.

They are worth picking up cheap, but when doing your cost vs benefit analysis don't forget about a new tune, head bolts, head gaskets, the heads at least need surface ground, water pump gaskets, oil/filter, check valve springs/ height, etc.

It's a good bit of cost and labor. I held onto my 799s for a year until I could get them at least touched up. It also helped I was going to have to pull heads to remove damaged lifters anyway.
Thunder,
I know you know your ****.What is the best setup on heads? 243s-799s etc for this setup below.Full bolt on car ls1 ram air Ws6 all bolt ons and mail order tune,What heads would you go with also keeping in mind of a cam down the road or possibly when the heads are installed.

Last edited by ws6man29; 02-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
11 Second Club

I am a board regular but far from an expert.

When I speak it is usually from a "bang for buck" point of view for a street bruiser/weekend warrior application since that is what my car is and what I spend my time/interest researching and trying to learn about.

That being said, I have been very impressed with the Advanced Induction 243/799 heads. I didn't have the funds to send mine there so we did a home port job just to help them out some so I could get them on the car.

I recommend having cam custom specced for the heads and do it all at once. Planning a combination makes more power than picking components individually. Especially the people who just run their finger to the bottom of the page and buy the biggest/baddest/most expensive thing that will "fit".
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I am a board regular but far from an expert.

When I speak it is usually from a "bang for buck" point of view for a street bruiser/weekend warrior application since that is what my car is and what I spend my time/interest researching and trying to learn about.

That being said, I have been very impressed with the Advanced Induction 243/799 heads. I didn't have the funds to send mine there so we did a home port job just to help them out some so I could get them on the car.

I recommend having cam custom specced for the heads and do it all at once. Planning a combination makes more power than picking components individually. Especially the people who just run their finger to the bottom of the page and buy the biggest/baddest/most expensive thing that will "fit".
Im in the same boat as you.The 243s and 799 are the same?How much do they normally run used?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ws6man29
Im in the same boat as you.The 243s and 799 are the same?How much do they normally run used?
same heads

heads from a ls6 however, have lighter valves.

243's are great budget heads
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Depends. Normal prices are $300-450 but if you find some that the owner doesn't know what they have or need a little work/clean up then cheaper.

I got mine for around $200 I can't remember exactly, but 1 cylinder had some damage from a piston popping. It all cleaned up during the milling and porting though.

Quick Reply: Gains w/ untouched 243 heads??