Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil pan gasket question

I havent done a whole lot of research or actually looking at the room i have or not. So I need to do the oil pan gasket on my 99 camaro z28 m6 is there enough room to change the gasket with the engine still in the car and are there any hidden problems I may have or any tips you might have, thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not with it still bolted in you'll have to raise the engine or lower the k member maybe both to get it out
Old 02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I just did this on a 67 Camaro.
The trick is to get the new gasket by the oil pickup tube.
In order to do this, I had to unbolt the pickup tube @ the oil pump (make SURE that you place a rag under the bolt BEFORE you unbolt it). The rag will catch the bolt if it falls.
Then, the oil pickup tube needs to be tilted & lifted so that the gasket can be squeezed by.
To tilt the pickup tube, there is one more bolt attaching the pickup tube to the splash shield inside the oilpan. This bolt is approx where the #5 cylinder rod is. The only way (that I found) to unbolt this bolt is to raise the engine.
Backing off the bolts in the engine stands allowed the engine to lifted enough to unbolt the pickup tube.
Then pull out and replace the gasket.
Good luck.