Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals can be done

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True duals can be done

Well after a ton of little and big issues I FINALLY have full 3in true dual exhaust. Y pipe rasp is a thing of the past! I did have to go to a full length torque arm to clear since I bought the car with a body mount but that was no problem for me that helped with the in car vibration as well.

Overall it was not terribly hard. I did however do all of the work myself with the help of a friend and one miller welder. Every exhaust shop around here either told me I was crazy and it couldn't be done, or "the law won't let them". I was told that last one before he ever even asked if I had cats. I did dent the rear seat buckets, one was dented already for a cutout, but neither can be noticed by looking at the rear seats. I left the exits straight out just for sound purposes. I don't like how turndowns take the edge off of the cam.

Here is the parts list:
2 Magnaflow 3in offset/center mufflers #11229
1 summit 3inch Xpipe kit
1 pacesetter Ypipe to cut up (came on the car obviously)
Total cost: $260

Pics and Video:

http://youtu.be/tBBVsbudO3g
http://youtu.be/1mDLAQhooQ0

Here is the previous mufflex catback for comparison:
http://youtu.be/CCYlMRorm-A
Let me know what you think!!!

Last edited by Whiteaw57; 02-28-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Looks and sounds good, and for the price you really can't beat it. Do you get any exhaust fumes or the scent in the car at all? And when most shops say "it can't be done" its just them saying there either too lazy to do it or their employees are not skilled enough to fabricate it.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

actually youre gonna laugh here but the exhaust pressure and straight through design off the muffler actually has enough pressure to push fumes out the back. My y pipe and collectors were leaking before (part of the reason for taking this on) and it honestly has LESS fumes and gas smell in the car. Never would've dreamed it. I was planning on trying to find a way to pipe it out the side but I think I may leave it alone
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
TECH Resident

Cant stress enough how purely wonderful the lack of rasp and drone is.....cut the Y pipe apart and im almost ready to call and cuss pacesetter on how stupid that design is
Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

I know the feeling. The shop that did the one on my Z28 swore they would never do another after it LOL.... I convinced them to do it a different route on my current car, and it's really not done in a way I like, but they tell me now that it can't be done any other way .... "but you built it another way on my last 4th gen!?" haha.. ah well, one of these days I'll just get the kit from Kooks...

congrats on joining the TD club! The sound is really impressive isn't it? I have a few friends with Y-piped f-bodies that complain about that drone too
Old 02-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Launching!

Sounds way better with the duals, I like it
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Just drove it down the interstate this morning. I now no longer have any reason to borrow my mothers buick. The lack of vibration and drone is at this point beyond my own belief.....I had the windows down at one point and as deep as the pitch is now you almost dont hear it
Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds pretty good
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds fking great doesn't it. I know what your saying about exhaust shops not wanting to mess with an uncatted car...Big fines...
I had 2 catbacks with my old y and could never acheive the sound quality I was looking for. For that reason I will never consider a y setup ever again.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Sounds great! and pretty good price.
When people say that true duals cant be done or are hard to be done they are referring to it being done by going over the axle with suffecient clearance for bumps, and out of the back duals all the way.
but none-the-less, nice exhaust
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blacknyellow
Sounds great! and pretty good price.
When people say that true duals cant be done or are hard to be done they are referring to it being done by going over the axle with suffecient clearance for bumps, and out of the back duals all the way.
but none-the-less, nice exhaust
I couldnt even get them to do EXACTLY this! Im one of those people that gets an idea and to make it happen Id build a car around an exhaust system. I was determined and put it on many lifts explaining to people. I finally achieved the " you make the clearance for it and get the fuel lines out of the way and ill bend the pipe. I thought to myself so I do the hard part then pay you 400$. Anyway just did it myself and I love it. ZERO drone/rasp at all.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
Overall it was not terribly hard. I did however do all of the work myself with the help of a friend and one miller welder. Every exhaust shop around here either told me I was crazy and it couldn't be done, or "the law won't let them". I was told that last one before he ever even asked if I had cats.
It's technically illegal to do two things here:

1. No cats
2. Exhaust dumping underneath the passenger cabin

Both are no-nos, especially the first one, so to be honest, I don't blame them for turning you away. Shops can get some very hefty fines if they are found in violation of the law, and those penalities are much more severe for a shop than for an individual. I also don't blame them for wanting to keep exhaust heat away from the fuel and brake lines on the driver's side.

Regardless, it's your car, and you did what you wanted, so enjoy!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

I know the cats rule but I wasnt aware so much of the under the car deal. I put a heat shield over the fuel lines so I dont think that will be a problem. With all of the true duals dumped under the car and obviously TSP true duals as well I didnt think anything of it. I guess that is an "off road" system though isnt it.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteaw57
I know the cats rule but I wasnt aware so much of the under the car deal. I put a heat shield over the fuel lines so I dont think that will be a problem. With all of the true duals dumped under the car and obviously TSP true duals as well I didnt think anything of it. I guess that is an "off road" system though isnt it.
A heat shield is all you need, so good thinking on that one.

As for the exiting under the car rule, just pay attention to school buses and big box rental trucks the next time you're out. You'll notice that school bus exhausts run all the way out the back since the passenger cabin runs the length of the vehicle, but on U-Haul type rental trucks, the exhaust will often dump underneath the bed since the back part of the truck isn't meant to hold passengers.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

two of my previous vehicles had high miles and ended up with clogged up cats, which are expensive enough to replace or clean, but it also heated up my exhaust manifold and fried my wiring harness going along the valve cover and nearly started a fire under my hood. That resulted in the wires grounding out and frying my pcm.. so I look at it as either way a $250 ticket you may get once every 15 years or pay for a $600 harnes, $150 new cat (which i deleted), and a $800 new pcm. along with the pain of installing a new wiring harness for the whole trucks sensors and such. 1999 mazda b2500. The other one wasnt so drastic but it sure did get the sawzall pretty quick when I started loosing power and heard the cat meow. to hell with cats. I think whiteaw made the right choice.

but good observation.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
A heat shield is all you need, so good thinking on that one.

As for the exiting under the car rule, just pay attention to school buses and big box rental trucks the next time you're out. You'll notice that school bus exhausts run all the way out the back since the passenger cabin runs the length of the vehicle, but on U-Haul type rental trucks, the exhaust will often dump underneath the bed since the back part of the truck isn't meant to hold passengers.
Good point here! crazy thing is I have less fumes going now than before. Don't ask me to explain that. Thankfully in NC I know enough shops that will let me pass on the visual. "I did the modification after the inspection" and such if I get pulled over. But I have never been pulled either. They dont really care. I bought it though without cats and I definitely do not see any going on any time soon. Too much $ for a college kid of course
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That third vidoeo ( mufflex catback comparison) is alittle deceiving to the ears. It sounds alittle more aggressive than the other 2. I'm sure in person it's totally different, but the vid makes it sounds like an agressive TD setup.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah youre right I noticed that after posting. The camera picks up the higher pitch and also unless you have a subwoofer on your computer speakers you dont get half of the true duals sound. Cant describe how deep it is. I wish i could drive it to every one of you and let it shake the windows on your house but that might take a while
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Put in headphones and listen!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Still won't justify the sound of duals.. That roar you hear in your lap or desktop, can be heard over a quarter mile away in person...

Quick Reply: True duals can be done