Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt chirp solutions? maybe...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt chirp solutions? maybe...

I was wondering around youtube earlier yesterday and came across a video named - Dayco: solutions to belt chirp. (I would post a link but not that tech savvy on my phone) anyway, it has me thinking my PS pulley might be out of alignment.

It started after I replaced my PS pump last spring. Some time passed and I developed a tiny squeak, that eventually got bad. This spring I am determined to kick its *** lol. The car has: new PS pump, water pump with new grease in all idlers and tentioners. This did quiet it down a lot. ( a video is up titled LS1 belt/pulley chirp that I just put up when I started it while in storage).

...back the vid, has anyone run into this causing a (bad) chirp before? This weekend I will be checking alignment as shown in the video using a straight edge and calipers. I hope this is the cause as I am running out of ideas.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Launching!

Oh, and I forgot. I have been going back and forth between the belt that was on the car when I bought it and one that has maybe 2500 miles.

And I tried the water test that they talk about but it doesn't really matter where I spray, the chirp always gets quieter than before.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

I chased mine down for a while as well and finally replaced the pulleys on the a/c idler, tensioner, and accessory tensionser. I packed them full of greas, sprayed them down with lube, and switched belts with no results.

Pulleys were around $10 each at O'reilly's.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02 NHRA
I was wondering around youtube earlier yesterday and came across a video named - Dayco: solutions to belt chirp. (I would post a link but not that tech savvy on my phone) anyway, it has me thinking my PS pulley might be out of alignment.

It started after I replaced my PS pump last spring. Some time passed and I developed a tiny squeak, that eventually got bad. This spring I am determined to kick its *** lol. The car has: new PS pump, water pump with new grease in all idlers and tentioners. This did quiet it down a lot. ( a video is up titled LS1 belt/pulley chirp that I just put up when I started it while in storage).

...back the vid, has anyone run into this causing a (bad) chirp before? This weekend I will be checking alignment as shown in the video using a straight edge and calipers. I hope this is the cause as I am running out of ideas.
this is kinda a last resort you could say, but i went through this last summer with mine. HORRIBLE chirp, i went through belts, pullys and other solutions on the belt to try n get it to go away. it would always quiet down after i changed something but then it would come right back loud as ever.

i found a link on here somewhere that showed a recall that 98-00 camaros/firebirds had with their alternator brakcet. it would cause the bracket to move slightly which would mess up alignment with the idler by alternator and the crank pully, thus causing an annoying chirp.

I went to a dealership and ordered the part for $40, took about 45 mins to change n bingo the TA purrs again ill try and find the link for you just in case.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM
Launching!

here is the bulletin from GM stating the recall. part number is included. it says to get the new pulley as well.....i did i just got the bracket and all was solved
Attached Thumbnails belt chirp solutions? maybe...-bulletin_squeaks.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Dealership trick take a dap of rtv on ur finger and spread it over a 1"section on both sides of belt. Noise gone 90% of time
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Launching!

I had seen that, but I was under the impression that 01 and 02 have the newer bracket and aren't affected by that.

One thing I would ask of some one though, if anyone could post up a picture of how far the PS pulley is mounted on the shaft. Before even checking with the straight edge, it looks like the pulley is only half on the shaft...I am pretty sure I pulled it on farther than that.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To check if your pulleys are out of alignment, use a straight edge across the face of them. I used long squares, levels, and even square stock before. Just measure from the straight edge to the inside of the pulleys at different angles across the front of the motor or go from one pulley to the other and make sure it sits level on both sides of all the pulleys.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had seen that, but I was under the impression that 01 and 02 have the newer bracket and aren't affected by that.

One thing I would ask of some one though, if anyone could post up a picture of how far the PS pulley is mounted on the shaft. Before even checking with the straight edge, it looks like the pulley is only half on the shaft...I am pretty sure I pulled it on farther than that.
The shaft is pretty close to flush with the pulley normally. Seeing how the problem started when you changed the pump I think you found your solution. Some brands of belts are horrible too for squealing if its Dayco throw it away.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jgillen91
Dealership trick take a dap of rtv on ur finger and spread it over a 1"section on both sides of belt. Noise gone 90% of time
That's a very temporary solution.

A better quick fix for a noisy belt (which is otherwise OK) is a small piece of sandpaper. Carefully apply a little pressure with the sandpaper to the ribbed side of the belt for 3-4 seconds with the engine at an idle. Just be very careful NOT to lose a finger.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Goodyear gatorback belt may do it. The sound or air squeezing out between backside of belt & pulleys can be what you hear.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
Goodyear gatorback belt may do it. The sound or air squeezing out between backside of belt & pulleys can be what you hear.
+2 gatorbacks are by far the quietest,smoothest belts ive ever used,even puts gates to shame
Old 03-14-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

My chirp is definitely the alt. Iv gone thru 3 vato one remans. All squeak when the weather is less than 70.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fst_Byrd
here is the bulletin from GM stating the recall. part number is included. it says to get the new pulley as well.....i did i just got the bracket and all was solved
this is what solved my problem when it was under warranty. my car was in a couple times for this before this TSB came out.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Launching!

So I picked up a puller/installer earlier and will re-seat the pulley in the morning. Will try a gatorback this weekend. Do regular auto parts stores have them?

As far the alt. bracket goes, I have read some where that it was bigger than stock. Is there a pic some where to compair to mine? Although I have read on here that the newer cars weren't affected by this.

This is getting to me bad. Its been upper 70s all week and I just can't bring myself to drive the car like this.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Launching!

That wasn't it. Re-seated the pulley and still chirping. Looking at the sides of the belts, even the newer one, you can see strands starting to show through the rubber. It has to be an alignment issue with a ribbed pulley...just finding which one.

Can dampers go out? I have been noticing a slight wobble...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That wasn't it. Re-seated the pulley and still chirping. Looking at the sides of the belts, even the newer one, you can see strands starting to show through the rubber. It has to be an alignment issue with a ribbed pulley...just finding which one.

Can dampers go out? I have been noticing a slight wobble...
Dampers can go bad. Has it ever been off? The bolt could be loose. You need to start with a brand new belt too BTW.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by flame
Dampers can go bad. Has it ever been off? The bolt could be loose. You need to start with a brand new belt too BTW.

As far as I know it hasn't ever been removed. All internals are stock.

And yeah, I ordered a gatorback today. I know its just a matter of time before it gets chewed up just like the cheapies I have been putting on it. At least I will he able to get it out and on the road for awhile.

..on a different note, I remembered I had some belt dressing so for shots and grins I went out and put some of that sticky crape on the old belt and guess what...ten times worse lol. But while it was making its racket I pulled out my redneck stethoscope (rubber hose) and moved it around, not touching anything...just listening and it sounds like its coming from down low, between the driver side idler and damper. If it does turn out to be the damper, gives me an excuse to get an under drive I guess.

So close to taking it to a shop...I hate the thought
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Launching!

So I just put on the gatorback I ordered today, part # 4060790. And I want to ask, this belt seemed a lot tighter than any other belt I have used, is this normal? The tensioned has less travel than I am used to and haven't started it yet...
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM

I have the same issue replaced all the idler pulleys maybe it is the dayco please post your result with the gatorback.

Quick Reply: belt chirp solutions? maybe...