Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

-NEED HELP- ls1 hesitation at WOT (and spark issue)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have some hesitation at wot in the upper rpm range. i had planned on doing a few mods to the car so i was hoping it would go away. so i installed: lt headers, ORY, open cutout, new plugs, msd wires, 85mm slp maf sensor, lid 85mm throttle body, 160 t-stat.
after all this, it does run a lot better, but it still has the hesitation. so, i did the next thing and put a new fuel filter on. same thing, still hesitates. idk what it could be.
although when the car is sitting at idle, i can hear a "tick" sound every 3 seconds or so coming from the crank pulley area. when it is dark outside with the car running you can see a blue spark rotating around the crank pulley. that is the "tick" noise that i hear. it has always done that since i have owned it.

could that be my reason for the hesitation? or do i just have two different problems?
other things to mention: 99 ws6 6 speed, stock 3.42 gear, 305/35/18 tires in rear
please help
Old 03-22-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just so you know that someone has looked, but i havent the slightest idea, sorry bro!!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Atleast you replied
Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Teching In

So it did this hesitation before you installed that maf? What kind of gas are you running(octane and station)? Any CELs?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any dummy lights on? Have you had it scanned?are all the wires pushed onto the coils? Just asking but are you sure the tick isnt coming from a vc? Check for exhaust leaks?

Have you cleaned your maf? So it runs fine but its missing? What rpm is the hesitation, how is your clutch? Just asking because my clutch would slip real bad at times and seems like its a hesitation,

Go to autozone and have them scan it, then let us know what came up, also is there any more detail that you can describe the issue
Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

the "tick" noise is coming from around my front timing cover. if it is dark outside and the car is running, you can look around the crank and timing cover area and see a blue flash every few seconds. that is the "tick" noise. the flash also "walks" around the crank. does that have anything to do with the reluctor wheel?
for the MAF, i unplugged it today and cranked it up. it never seemed to stutter or anything with it unplugged. is it safe to drive a little with it unconnected? and yes, i do need to have my codes scanned. i just do not understand the blue flash and tick noise.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 AM

Is the engine grounded to the frame.

The ticking and blue light is definitely spark. I'm not sure on the ls1 but I know 3.8 have a crankshaft position sensor. If one of the wires from the sensor was exposed it could arc to the balancer.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

all of my grounds look good
Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Check ur fuel pressure had same issue
Old 03-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Sorry from a quick search it seems the crankshaft position sensor is in rear :× my bad. I still think your tick blue light issue is an electrical arc. I have seen a lot of that while powder coating and it fits your description to a t. I have no idea if it is causing your other issue but if that was my car I would try to chase that down before I started chasing other things unless anyone who knows better says it's common.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

thanks for the input

Quick Reply: -NEED HELP- ls1 hesitation at WOT (and spark issue)